Lessons from Int'l flight

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by Marie, Sep 28, 2001.

1. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

I want to tell you guys a little of what I experienced being abroad during this. First, my flight had just landed when all this occurred. I was one of the last night flights out on the 10th. I was in Italy, and being my first trip, I do not speak much Italian. CNN in Italian wasnâ??t much help. Fortunately, all those I love just witnessed these horrors but were ok.

English newspapers were scarce and the phone lines to the states were busy. Almost everyone we met told us they were sorry. Italian businesses put up notes of solidarity. Every American we met became an instant friend as a lot of news passed from person to person. At dinner the first night, we told a couple who had been on a Greek cruise the news. They did not believe us. She had many friends who worked at the WTC.

We were warned not to act â??too Americanâ?? as our hotel in Rome was in the same area as many embassies (including a few who do not favor the US). We spoke German or French some if we felt insecure about our safety. We did witness protest marches against the â??warâ? done by students, Arabs, and Chinese Communists (the red flags were waiving). Things Iâ??d only ever seen on TV. We kept a healthy distance from the few possibly dangerous situations. We werenâ??t sure if we would be stranded. In the end, we took our scheduled flight out.

We tried to enjoy the trip as much as possible. It was an education walking through Pompeiiâ?¦ Herculeumâ?¦ Paestumâ?¦ noting the history, the struggles, the wars. Not much has changed in 2000 years but the weapons. Still, in Venice, I couldnâ??t help but regain my optimism. After all, I was in a city that should not standâ?¦ much less for 1000 years on old wood in a swamp.

Now, onto some news that might actually help you. Our flight home was a full 2 weeks after the attack, and it was still eventful. You likely will not hear about this stuff on TV, but I will tell you what it was like and what Iâ??ve learned from my father (who is in the FAA).

We went through multiple checks, multiple x-rays, and we walked between heavily armed guards. And still, we were amazed to realize we had accidentally left a pointed, metal corkscrew in our bagâ?¦ so we had it on the plane. This would bother me some, but on this flight it was especially distressing because our 767 to NY had maybe 40 people on it, 3 of which were men who looked like they were Arabic.

One of the men, in particular, distressed several of us. He had been pacing in the lounge, unwilling to look at or sit next to anyone. He seems very nervousâ?¦ or anxious. His anxiety made me (and several others) distressed. There were 2 flights that hour so we never guessed all 3 guys would be on our plane, but when we sat down and saw one in the very back, one to the left in front, and one to the right in frontâ?¦ I started hearing my instinct (which said get off the plane) fight with my intellect (which said I was being crazy and these poor guys likely knew we were scared of themâ?¦ and that made them justifiably uncomfortable).

My hands started shaking as I debated whether or not the next dayâ??s flight would be any better. I pushed back tears because I didnâ??t want to cry and act like a girl. And, by the way, I LOVE To fly. I still look out the windows. I am a big kid on planes. But that day, I looked at the passenger mix. Mostly older women (70s), a few older men, 3 out of shape 40â??s guys, 3 girls under 30â?¦ 7 women flight attendantsâ?¦ ugh. A model hijacking. The person I was traveling with was also ready to get off the plane. It took me at least 5 agonizing minutes to decide what to do. I got up the nerve, walked up to front, and talked with the flight crew and they told me to talk with the pilot.

The conversation with the pilot, and then later with my father, was very enlightening. The pilot assured me that he was comfortable that no weapons could now be brought on board with the heightened security. So I told him of our accidental corkscrew on board. Nice metal weapon (that I had, incidentally, now put in my sock â??in caseâ? I needed access to something resembling a weapon). Of course, later Delta gave me several small wine bottles that could have easily worked as weapons.

We talked for several minutes. I told him how I had hesitated to say anything but I was scared of the men. He said on every flight thus far someone had been upset about someone. He understood my mixed feelings. Is it discrimination? Or justifiable fear and possibly a correct instinct? He said the pilots face the same dilemma. The fact that the plane was going to NY only made it worse. What a nice statement a hijacking would be going into NY 2 weeks later. A â??see we can get you in or out of your countryâ? statementâ?¦

The pilot did say the biggest change is the way they will now handle a hijacking (and I had heard this from my Dad the night before). Instead of relinquishing the plane or being passive, he told me they would all fight to the death before giving up the cockpit. And I believed him. He also said it was good that passengers were being more alert to their surroundings and to security.

Anyway, the pilot thanked me for the information, said he did not know of the 3 men, asked where the guys were sitting, and called in an additional security and background check on all the passengers. We noticed we had 2 large, male flight attendants, and 2 new passengers (one who sat in the last row and never ate or slept) and another guy with a high and tight who sat in the middle of the plane with his back to the window at all times so he could see everyone. Marshals and/or military.

Later I spoke with other people who were on board and they had the same fears about the same men but they were too timid to say anything. They were glad Iâ??d gone up and said something, although they didn't realize I'd said something until after the flight had concluded and we spoke. Better to be wrong than right and silentâ?¦

So the point is really this. While the news reports that security is betterâ?¦ and it is betterâ?¦ it is an â??in progressâ? issue. They appreciate passenger input and they will step up security if there is a perceived risk on a flight.

By the way, the FAA knows of several other â??Arabsâ? who were in jump seats when the FAA grounded all planes on the 11th. Those werenâ??t the only planes that had planned hijackingsâ?¦ they were just the ones that got in the air.

And at the airports today, metal and guns are still getting through. Just not as many. Security is not a done deal yet, but it is much better simply because now they are really trying. But, please be very aware of your surroundings as you flyâ?¦ know that the system is really in process of an overhaul but it will take yearsâ?¦ and with all this, please, please go ahead and fly and try to live normally or else weâ??ll ruin our own economy with fearâ?¦ and that was their ultimate goalâ?¦ to scare us forever.

By the way, I am so HAPPY to be home again. ;)

2. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

OH wow! Marie, that must have been scarey. I agree with you though, we should go on with our plans and live our lives, or they will have won in the insidious way they intended to.

Glad everything worked out good.

3. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

MY FAMILY IS NOT AFRAID TO FLY...THE 4 OF US HAVE ALMOST 200,000 MILES!!!

We are AFRAID of all the SECURITY!!!!

IF IT TAKES US 4 hours before the flight, and 2 hours to drive to the airport, then 2-3 hour flight...IT MIGHT BE BETTER TO BUY A NEW VAN AND DRIVE BACK HOME TO CALIFORNIA!!!!!

THEY GOT MP'S WITH M-16'S BEFORE YOU EVEN GET TO THE AIRPORT (DENVER) INSPECTING VEHICLES...WITH MY ATTITUDE...I WOULD TELL THEM TO "GET A SEARCH WARRANT"!!!!

4. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

George!!! It's your patriotic duty. Take back our skies!!

5. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Marie,

I am glad to hear you are home safe and sound.

Jim