Oh, here's a good one!

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by NanaC, Sep 29, 2002.

1. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

My youngest is a super responsible kid! She and her sister share an apartment. They paid their rent in advance from Sept. to Jan. (They are in college so money comes in at once). They paid on August 28. Have receipt, etc. Daughter gets late notice on 9/17. Calls and they say "oops"...entered one less zero than you paid. (?????!!!!!!) Don't worry. Anyway, daughter gets served with eviction papers 9/23. Goes to office with my hubby. "Ooops, they say," just disregard. NO need to show at court on 10/1. She goes to office of the court (or whatever that is called), court gives her a copy of a letter dated 9/24 from apartment stating to stop, no eviction necessary. (Funny how they left off it was completely their error.) Check has cleared at full amount (all the zeros in place). N-E-WAYS, I advise daughter to show up on court date anyway....since they are obviously incompetent.

I am right, aren't I?

Is there anything else I need to tell them?

Oh, and hi everyone! Thank you for the kind words after my uncle's passing recently. It means so much to hear them! I'm back and will update the credit after BK thread shortly!

2. marci

marci Well-Known Member

Your daughter needs to MAKE SURE that she isn't listed on the eviction database. It's like a credit report for landlords. And most larger management landlords look here first.

A lot of people get eviction notices and even if the eviction is overturned, they'll be in this database.

I do not have the website for it. But someone posted it on creditnet. I would do a search for "eviction" on this board until I come across it.

And she needs to show up on the court date and countersue if she has any damages from this.

3. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Oh, Marci! Thank you!!!! I'll go see what I can find! I didn't even know about that! UGH!

4. Karen

Karen Well-Known Member

If it is officially dismissed before the court date, she does not have to go to court. But, if she does not have a copy of the dismissal in hand, she needs to be there with her proof and ready to go. Don't trust these people. If they have not dismissed it and she does not show up, they get a default judgement. When she tries to get it set aside, they will claim she should have shown up.

5. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

I thought the letter wasn't enough...I knew there was more! Ok, an official dismissal....would the court give her this? Thanks

OH, help, folks..I've searched the eviction situation and found some posts discussing this but haven't found one directing me to the site for the database..does anyone know it? There are so many posts! thanks

6. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

They better show up and counter sue for $500-$1,000 each for their trouble...

Sorry to hear about your uncle...(I guess I missed some stories...too hard to keep up).

:(

I think of you everytime I see DEN-ELP weekend fares from UNITED...(fly out SATURDAY back MONDAY or TUESDAY)...under $200 usually...must purchase by FRIDAY.

7. Nave

Nave Well-Known Member

She also should pull all 3 credit reports. Make certain they did not furnish the info automatically.

So sorry about your Uncle, I missed the thread entirely.

It is great to see you post Nana, we miss you.

-Peace, Dave

8. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Get any information you can from the court...if it is DISMISSED...get that in WRITING!!!

CYA

9. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

George & Nave!

HEY!!!

George! You crack me up! Been noticing those airfares myself. Going to an Avalanche game in November but we are going to see them in Phoenix! I want to go to Blackhawk so may be visiting soon, though! I will tell her to get it in writing. This whole thing is stupid. Will pull credit reports, too!

Nave: Buddy, how are you? Thanks so much! Will pull credit reports, too! Totally ridiculous, isn't it?

Thanks for the kind words about my uncle...it was a sidenote in the "credit cards after BK" thread so that's why you missed it. It still helps to hear ...he was my Godfather, too! He had liver cancer diagnosed on Saturday, they thought he had 3-6 months, sent him home, he died 3 days later.

I'm so glad I posted this today..so much I wouldn't have thought of!

10. marci

marci Well-Known Member

11. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Marci: You're the best! Thanks! That's the one I found, too...maybe someone will remember the link. Will keep hoping!

12. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Marci! Awesome! Thanks! I've printed out the form and will have daughter send it tomorrow for disclosure! I really (!!!) appreciate your work on this!

13. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member