Account Review Inquiry/After BK

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by yellowlab, Jul 16, 2012.

1. yellowlab

yellowlab New Member

Hi Everyone! I'm new to this forum and hoping for some advice on what creditors can and cannot do after a BK. We filed Chapter 7 in Sept. 2008. It was discharged Feb 2010. We included credit cards and our mortgage in the BK.

In January 2012 Bank of America did an Account Review Inquiry on my TransUnion. I don't believe they can do this since I no longer have a credit card with them - it was discharged in the BK.

Also, on my husband's report, (All three bureaus) they started reporting a delinquent mortgage after we filed bankruptcy. Just for a period of one month (He had Greenpoint when we filed the BK, they sold it to Countrywide after filing, who then was bought by B of A - I was not on the mortgage loan). They reported this in 2009 long after we filed and left the house. I've tried disputting this with the bureau's, but B of A verifies it and they keep it on.

How can I find letters to send them or can I even sue them for this? It's been difficult enough to clean up other items and re-establish ourselves. We would like to buy a house again in the future, and this foreclosure reporting after the BK filing is hurting us.

Any advise or websites, letters, etc. is greatly appreciated. Thank You!

2. JoshuaHeckathorn

JoshuaHeckathorn Administrator

Welcome to Creditnet!

Account reviews are soft inquiries, so even if it was unjustified on BofA's part, I wouldn't worry about it too much because it doesn't affect your credit scores at all.

Now, I would worry about delinquent payments being reported post-bankruptcy. The last delinquent payment on the mortgage should be the month you filed your case. If I'm understanding you correctly, it sounds like there are late payments reporting after that time, right? Does the mortgage at least show that it was included in the BK with a $0 balance?

3. Heather L

Heather L Well-Known Member

After you have worked hard to clean up your credit so you can purchase a new home, you can also give your credit a boost by adding an authorized user account to your credit. Just ask a family member or friend to add you to one of their existing credit card accounts. The higher the credit limit and the longer the payment history the bigger the boost. The card must have perfect payment history and a low balance to really impact your score. Thanks! Heather with BoostMyScore.NET

4. mijd

mijd Well-Known Member

I had three CCs with BOA when I filed chapter 7. Two were paid as agreed and closed prior to BK, and with the 3rd CC, I was never late up to the time I filed for BK. Of any accts that were discharged in BK, none show a review except for all three BOA CCs. Also, BOA changed the status of the one acct to "charged off" the same month I was discharged, although the acct still shows discharged in bankruptcy. The only other charge off was a HELOC which was done 8 months prior to discharge. Does anyone know if this a common business practice with BOA? Thanks....

5. JoshuaHeckathorn

JoshuaHeckathorn Administrator

As long as they report on your credit reports that it's included in the bankruptcy, you're OK. They're allowed to report the charge off too.