USAA Car loan requirements & ???s

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by jhoyt, Feb 20, 2003.

1. jhoyt

jhoyt Active Member

I promised I'd post this when I got the information. USAA is a company that assists military affiliated people in insurance, banking, investments, etc. I've heard that regular people can bank with them.

4 different creditors with at least a 2 year history
    2 years employment history
    2 years employment history in the same industry
    no collection accounts not paid

The rep told me there is no certain score they look for.

I don't qualify, I have 7 things on my credit

Husbands' USAA credit card 2 years old never late JU
    6 mo old credit card- mine
    5 student loans from the same company

So no loan for me. I am looking at their self start car loan thing. Do I send them a transcript, copy of my degree or letter acknowledging graduation from my school?

2. ms6073

ms6073 Well-Known Member

Why not call and talk to them on the phone? Contact info at www.usaa.com

Now this might not help but I am a long time USAA member (former military) and have relied on them for insurance rates that simply can not be beat (as long as you have a good driving record). You know I was not aware that they were extending services/membership to non-military personnel. I applied for an auto loan this morning after selling my Audi to a private buyer last night. The loan descision is currently pending verification from the lien holder on the Audi that the account has been paid. As I suggested, my circumstances kind of warranted applying over the phone at which time I was told that they use Equifax for credit reports. So what does you EQ report/score indicate?

3. jhoyt

jhoyt Active Member

I never knew about the non military thing until I posted here either. (It actually made me sad- I thought I was in a pretty exclusive club : ).

I have never been disappointed in USAA before but the rep today I talked to on the auto loan pretty much told me there was no hope because of my lack of credit. I found the other program on USAA.com. Thanks for your input.

4. jhoyt

jhoyt Active Member

Sorry I guess I should have answered the question too. Won't know what my scores will be as haven't heard back from student loan people yet as to whether or not they'll delete the lates. I want to apply as soon as the student loan issue is cleared. I'll then have no negatives. I want the Self Start which is for ages 22-26 and offers 100% financing and no payments for 60 days. I'm calling again right now..... they said if you can get the student loan late pays off or at least ontime for 2 years they'll finance at 6.5 for 60 months up to $25,000.00. Now to threaten the student loan people more.