Exxon Mobil Pre-Approved offer?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Denny, Oct 7, 2003.

1. Denny

Denny Well-Known Member

Hi,

I just got Pre-Approved offer for Exxon Mobil card. Whatâ??s meaning of pre-approved? Does it mean they are going to pull hard inquiry anyway if I send app back or not?

Iâ??m new in building credit history, and this is a first offer I got. I have two secured cards. Should I go for this offer or wait for some better offers from prime cards?

How many hard inquires is smart to have in letâ??s say 6 month period of time?

Thanks!
    Denny

2. NiceGuy

NiceGuy Well-Known Member

Denny,

I would hold off for something better than a gas card. Even though pre-approved, they will still pull a hard once you send it in. As far as the inquiries go, I have seen that more than three in a six month period is too many for some creditors.

Hope this helps!

-NiceGuy

3. Fledge

Fledge Member

I was sent a pre-approved ExxonMobil offer last November. They pulled a soft (EXP in CALIF) before sending me the offer and never pulled a hard after I sent it back.
    Incidentally, I got $200 with a score around 600. Since you are lounging in the 700 club, the card would almost definitely be yours for the asking.

4. RichGuy

RichGuy Well-Known Member

Denny,

If all you have right now is secured cards, I would suggest that you accept the preapproved offer.

In my opinion, one inquiry won't hurt you now. You have to use your inquiries for something, and this looks like a good use.

You can't be sure you'll get any prime offers soon, so you can get this card, build some history without annual fees, and probably wait for the same time you would have waited anyway.

Wishing you credit success,

5. Denny

Denny Well-Known Member

Thanks to all of you guys! I appreciate your help. I have one more question regarding this offer â?? what for I have to peal off the Exxon sticker and affix it to acceptance certificate. Doesnâ??t that sound silly? Whatâ??s purpose of this sticker?

Once again, thanks a lot!

Denny

P.S. RichGuy â?? thanks for wishes!!!

6. Denny

Denny Well-Known Member

Ooops! I forgot to ask does they report card to all 3 CRA's?

Denny

7. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member

Denny,

I have ExxonMobil Gas Card for over three years and they reported to all 3 crdit bureaus. By the way, they don't update account history every month. They haven't update report since last August.

Ron.

8. Fledge

Fledge Member

Different experience here. They report to all three and they report QUICK. Sept is reported by the first week of October.

The best part: they report credit limits. That should help boost your score as far as utilization is concerned.

You could be cruising to Club 800 in no time!

9. iambroke

iambroke Well-Known Member

I have had my Texaco gas card since 1998 (chp 7 discharged 5/92) and got it to reestablish credit. I was denied for the exxon card so I went with Texaco (which is now Shell BTW)

If you got that offer then I don't think one inquiry is going to hurt your score. Since you have secured cards, then a gas card might help your mix.

I use my Texaco all month each month to pay for my gas in both our vehicles. Then when the statement comes due I pay it in full. This saves on interest plus shows a good payment history.

It might be worth it if you plan on using it for little gas purchases then paying it off each month. I wouldn't get it otherwise cause why pay interest on gas! It's just too darn expensive right now.