paid judgment not showing paid?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by opie, Nov 22, 2002.

1. opie

opie Active Member

i paid off a judgment over a year ago but on my credit report it shows i still owe the money. this
    is really hurting my credit and has hurt me trying to buy a house. instead i had my mother buy my house for me, that really sucked.

its a 2500$ judgment.

ive called the creditor and asked that they fix the problem. they said no problem but its been over 2 months now.

do i have just cause to take them to small claims court now, and sue for 1,000$? i dont see why i should give them another chance to correct this.

this would also help pay for my other unpaid judgment. im serious

2. waalien

waalien Well-Known Member

Check your state laws on satisfaction of judgements. In Cali, you can get them in serious trouble and get damages,

for example, from
    http://www.sandiego.courts.ca.gov/superior/courts/smallclaims.html#pj

Within 14 days of the judgment being fully paid, the judgment creditor must file an Acknowledgment of Satisfaction of Judgment with the clerk. The judgment creditor may be liable for $50 plus actual damages for failing to file the Acknowledgment of Satisfaction within 14 days of receiving a written demand from the judgment debtor.

Your state may have something similar, go do some digging around on your state's small claims court website :)

HTH

3. tracyb0313

tracyb0313 Well-Known Member

Have you tried disputing it? Mine was paid in 97, and was showing unpaid. I disputed it a few different ways, not mine, incorrect information, vacated. They all worked between the CRA's. I disputed the address I was living at at the time of the judgement first though.