Denied Amex Blue...

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by poobybear, Feb 28, 2003.

1. poobybear

poobybear Well-Known Member

Today I applied for Amex Blue and was denied. I guess I got a little too confident after BofA raised me to 9,500 w/o hard inquiry. I currently have a students Blue with a credit limit of 2,600, but the apr is like 12 something and I keep hearing how the regular Blue has a low interest rate, so I thought I would apply for the regular Blue. Anyway, I want to know the best way to get reconsidered for it. My scores range from 696 (TU) to 708 (EQ), but all are about the same. I think that the score they let me see is different from the score the companies see, but oh well. I haven't applied for anything new in a long time, over 9 months, so I don't understand. Maybe my scores are too low, any input would be appreciated!

2. poobybear

bump:)

3. willgator

willgator Well-Known Member

iT'S NOT THE SCORES

4. poobybear

If its not the scores, I don't know what else it could be. I have never been late on any card - especially the student Blue, and I don't have any other negatives. My debt is at like 25% utilization, which I thought was what creditors wanted. I am confused.

5. luxury4me

luxury4me Well-Known Member

Maybe they wont give you one because you already have a student version. Maybe they want you to graduate first and then they will give the regular one.

6. four20nik

four20nik Well-Known Member

How old is your credit file?

7. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Maybe the "GEORGE FACTOR" is spreading.

8. ryder

ryder Well-Known Member

LOL! Once a bank sent me a pre-approval notice for a low interest rate gold card with a balance transfer option. For the balance I was going to transfer, I put down a regular card I already had with the same bank at a higher rate. Denied!!!

9. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Denied Amex Blue...

No BT with the same bank...EVER.

10. poobybear

OK, I'm out for blood. I checked my EQ report today, and my score DROPPED 10 POINTS due to the inquiry I had on my report from Amex. To answer a couple of questions, my credit file goes back to 1993, when my mother added me as an authorized user to her credit card, even though I was not 18. It was a good tradeline with a high credit limit, and she has since closed that card, so I think that helped me when I started out getting my own cards about 4 years ago. My length of credit has not been a problem for awhile. The only change to my report from Friday to today is that darn inquiry. BTW, for those of you like me who have the student blue, I called customer service and asked which card I would be eventually upgraded to, and they told me a would get a regular Optima when my card expires AND if I have graduated by then. SO IT DOES NOT EVENTUALLY TURN INTO THE REGULAR BLUE. I can't really argue the inquiry because I applied, but it just really bothers me that I can't get my student blue out of the 2,000s and that I have never been late/overlimit/etc. with ANY card, plus my household income is more than enough (which if necessary I can verify for them), and my limits/terms with other cards are much much better & I still can't get a better product with them. I'm sorry for venting!!!

11. rackt3

rackt3 Well-Known Member

Last time I got denied, they said it was because I had too many inquiries (I had 5 at the time). With what you've said about your credit situation, it's hard to tell why they would have denied you unless you ask them and they tell you specifically why.

I'd be interested to know..

12. rackt3

rackt3 Well-Known Member

By the way, they do say income doesnt matter if you're already an AMEX card member, so their reason is most likely not income anyway.

13. poobybear

Thanks for the responses. I will call them today with a number that I found through searching posts, and when I get an answer, I will let you know how it goes.