Got 2nd Citi Card with 603 score!!

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by sam, Aug 5, 2001.

1. sam

sam Well-Known Member

I've had my citi card for 8 months. Kept getting denied for increases due to TU score (bad 575).

Well I applied for a citi AA advantage card, and received it today. My efx score pulled was 603. Line is $5000!!

Also received today:
    Spiegel $400 (Tu pulled 575)
    Cap 1 one ($200) - cancelling monday
    Paypal Providian Visa ($300) - cancelling monday

Now I need to get a BT offer for the new citi card, and i'll be BT'ing off all my old cap 1, etc credit cards and letting them idle.

Strange that citi will give me a new $5000 limit card but denied my planetfeedback increase request for $1000 increase on my other citi card..

FYI, my efx 603 score includes the following baddies after cleanup: 1 Chargeoff $0 Bank America, 1 Collection $0 paid, i have like 20 inquiries in past 6 months, and 66% debt ratio to knock my score down.

2. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

sam
    I've had my citi card for 8 months. Kept getting denied for increases due to TU score (bad 575).
    Well I applied for a citi AA advantage card, and received it today. My efx score pulled was
    603. Line is $5000!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RUB IT IN.......
    685-698 F.I.C.O. I CAN'T GET CITIBANK...

3. dave

dave Well-Known Member

Sam,

A Citibank rep. once told me that they use their own internal scoring system so a low FICO is not necessarily the kiss of death with Citibank. Still, this doesn't really explain why you can't get a CL increase on your existing card but they will give you a new one with a 5K limit. Maybe there was some change in your situation between the last CL increase request and getting approved for the new card. The change may have been minor--such as passage of time--that was enough to qualify you. Just a guess.

4. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

JUST F.Y.I.
    Others on this board have got 2 and 3 CITIBANK cards and combined them later with better results than asking for a LIMIT INCREASE!!!

5. sam

sam Well-Known Member

heh no. I got both a decline and a new card. Citi pulls TU for increases, and its by far my worst report.

Citi pulls equifax for new accounts.

So i'm sure i'll have this new citi card and won't ever get an increase, but will be able to get a 3rd if/when i need more. I've got way more credit than I need now. I plan to BT my piddly cards and get rid of them before they do more harm (open) than not.

By the way, this was not an "instant" approval, it said the usual wait 7-10 days..

6. keltexx

keltexx Well-Known Member

COngrats Sam! Our scores are similar, so I am always glad to hear when you have received stuff!

I am still waiting on my TU score-its being sent to me. I have had some lates and an inquiry drop off my EQ. I have several more inquiries dropping off in August, but still have a %$#%$( collection not paid.

If you don't mind me asking, do you have any collection accounts on EQ at the time that you applied for Citi? Thanks in advance.

7. sam

sam Well-Known Member

i have one $0 charge off with B&A and one Paid collection

both are from 96

I think the fact that the balance being $0 and the collection now being paid ($48) may have help swing their decision.

I've talked to citi before and there rule quoted to me for denial reason was:
    1. One chargeoff i had for $850 was on file (Now $0 b&a)
    and
    2. Collection less than 2 years old.

I think by luck, the b&a chargeoff being sold/transferred and the fact i paid the $48 collection was the reason i got this. Along with stellar payment history from citibank #1 card.

8. Rain

Rain Member

Ugh! This is downright depressing! I got denied a Citibank card with a 747 FICO, and you got approved with a 603?! I give up.

I called and spoke to the rep about why I got denied and she gave me some riggermarole about Citibank requiring at least one tradeline that has at least 12 months of history. I told her, " I don't understand, then, because I meet that requirement. I have 2 bank cards, ones a Capital One Visa that is now past 12 months old, and the other is an Orchard that is only 4 months old." YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT SHE TOLD ME?! She said that the Capital One card doesn't count as a bank card because on my credit report it is just listed as "CAPITAL ONE", not "CAPITAL ONE BANK". She said the Orchard acct. is listed on my report as "ORCHARD BANK", so it is the only one Citi will count as a bank card toward their requirement. Well, since the Orchard is only 4 months old, she said that I don't meet the "at least 12 months of bank card history" requirement. THIS IS JUST TOTAL B.S. TO ME! They won't count my Cap1 card with over a year of FLAWLESS history as a bank card just because it doesn't say the dang word "BANK" next to it's name. Even though Orchard is no more of a bank than Cap1 is! I couldn't believe it when she told me all this. This is all just so disheartening.

Sorry to unload. I'm still just reeling over this.
    Rain

9. Rain

Rain Member

I forgot to congratulate you, Sam. I know you'll enjoy your Citi cards. I've heard so much good about their service, etc. Hopefully, someday I'll be able to get one. Maybe when my 747 goes up to an 800. ;)

I just realized, though, that you said you applied for the Cite AAdvantage. The card I had applied for with my 747 score and got denied was the Citi Platinum Select. Do you think I could apply for the AAdvantage and have better odds. Are they less stringent with the requirements on that card. I had thought that when I applied for the Plat Select, they would automatically bump me down to whichever card I might be qualified to recieve. The lady I spoke to, though, basically said she couldn't offer me ANY Citi card. I still just counldn't believe it. I told her, "but with a 747 FICO, and a year of flawless history, spotless report, you mean I can't even get some little $500 or $1000 Classic card to start out?" She said no.

I'm thinking maybe I should call them back and insist on speaking with a supervisor and pleading my case. Is their any chance that might help? Any chance maybe the CSR I spoke with was just a casestudy in uncooperative or something?

Rain

Rain

10. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

I'm with you, Rain, Their so-called internal scoring system is about the strangest I've ever seen. They turned me down for a second card for having too many cards, too many inquiries. When I called about it, I squeezed the rep for information, but she was rude - to the point of being insulting.

I have a spotless payment history, going back to 1996. All negs satisfied and over 6 yrs old. Go figure.

breeze

11. Cyprigirl

Cyprigirl Well-Known Member

Rain, call back and speak to a supervisor, the reps are very snotty and don't know what they are talking about half the time.

Don't even give them a chance to talk ask for a supervisor right off the bat and I would try a letter from Planetfeedback as a good measure.

Citi reps are unbelievable at times, especially the credit analyst department. The bank notation is ridiculous, don't except that from them, that is nonsense.

Anyway my 2 cents,

Cypri:)

12. sam

sam Well-Known Member

apply for the citi AAdvantage definitely.

By the way, my gf got her first AAdvantage when she had like 8 months of history (period), with one Cap 1 secured, and one macy's card.

Then 3 months later got another one. Then got an automatic increase the same month on the first card.

my bro got his first AAdvantage when he had 9 months of total credit history (one macys, one parisians).

The 12 month b/s is just that. maybe theres some incentive to dump the AA advantage cards. Probably from AA ??

By the way i was declined two months in a row for other cards (platinum select, and The internet card)

13. roni

roni Well-Known Member

yes rain,

During your rambling...you didnt notice that Sam applied for the legendary Advantage card which can be upgraded to a platinum select card without hassle. Citibank has many different products which are at different levels of difficult to get. There is a big difference between platinum and classic cards.

Congrats Sam.

14. Mist

Mist Well-Known Member

I think AA wants as many AAdvantage cards as possible in the hands of the public. They even set up, in the last few weeks, tables in the TWA JFK Terminal and in ST. Louis Lambert Field Airport to solicit travelers with 5000 bonus mileage points to apply for the card. Of course they want all the TWA loyal Aviators and as much business from those two hubs as possible and it is a good business move to do this.

I have one but the terms are not good. I applied for it to give me a better debt/credit limit ratio. I'll either combine it with another citi card or try to negotiate for better terms.

15. MikeB

MikeB Banned

For the record, you CAN NOT always upgrade the AAdvantage to the Platinum Select. Maybe if your score is good enough. I couldn't.

16. roni

roni Well-Known Member

MikeB,

Maybe it was just bad timing. Everyone I know here upgraded to platinum select on this site last fall. Scores could not have been an issue b/c my score sucked then anyway and I upgraded both my advantage cards to platinum. Have you tried to upgrade more than once. Maybe the rep you had was a witch.

17. sam

sam Well-Known Member

hmm i didn't ask i told them. I want a dividend platinum select and lower APR.

Btw, the cash advance limit on this card is the full credit line $5000. My gf only got like 1/3 of the credit line for cash advance. odd.

Anyways. Try the AAdvantage (not world, not platinum). The standard old plain jane card. I don't want to dig up the old AAdvantage thread/issue again. But it appears to still be alive :) Right roni?

18. Geo

Geo Well-Known Member

Congratulations for your new card, Sam !!.

I have had two citis from January, 9k/each. At the 6 months mark (July26) I clicked on the
    Line Increase button on account online and was granted $1500 for each card for a total
    credit line of 10,500, the message said "Congratulations you have received....etc and
    no credit report was pull on this decision".

I think you have to wait several months before to click on the button for a successful increase.

19. CardKid

CardKid Well-Known Member

Is this the AA Advantage World MasterCard at the CitiBank web site?

20. PuuOoPaul

PuuOoPaul Well-Known Member

Hmmm, I wonder if I'll get mine. I received an application in the mail a couple of weeks ago for a platinum select. I only have recent credit history from January (thanks for being the only one to believe in me Sears). My Equifax FICO is 652 and would assume my TU to be the same and a higher Experian. I'm not interested in the AA mileage as I fly Northwest.

Which by the way be forewarned if applying for the World Perks Visa on line. I applied over two weeks ago and they still haven't received my application! The website does acknowledge that I submitted the app but customer service said they are having problems with the website and still cannot pull out my information.

Well there is a reason for everything. No sense in trying to figure it out though.

PuuOoPaul