TransUnion HAWK-ALERT

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Saar, Nov 3, 2001.

1. Saar

Saar Banned

Anyone knows what this means on a TU credit report?

Thanks,
    Saar

2. Nave

Nave Well-Known Member

I think it is code for "The jig is up" ... maybe a crossed military signal that the Taliban's time is growing short.

Sorry Saar, no clue here.

-Peace, Dave

3. bbauer

bbauer Banned

Saar:

The HAWK alert is to let you know there is one of them circling overhead and if you don't look out he will drop a wet bomb on you.

If I remember correctly, there is an explanation of the hawk alert and it's purpose on the TU website in the merchant's section.

4. PsychDoc

PsychDoc Well-Known Member

A "hawk alert" has to do with suspected fraudulent activity. Here's a quote from an informative web site:

"HAWK messages appear if address, phone number or SSN have been used in suspected fraudulent activity; or if the information is inappropriate on an application, such as a commercial or institutional address; or if the SSN has not been issued by the Social Security Administration or is that of a deceased person as reported by the Social Security Administration."

That web site (operated by a Trans Union affiliate) explains other interesting info regarding Trans Union reports as well, so here's the link:

http://www.a2cb.com/credit/page3.html

Hope this helps!

Doc

5. Saar

Saar Banned

Ok, searched & found the answer:

Source: http://credit.chapter7.com/tu/hawk.htm

I believe many here would find the above link very interesting.

Saar

6. anna

anna Well-Known Member

I got this message too. I'm WORRIED> Are you sure about this?

7. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

maybe there's now a section for hawk alerts... and yours is "clear". Meaning: you have no alerts.

It used to be that we just didn't see any alerts at all. maybe they've changed the format.

just a guess based on the "clear for all searches performed" part.

8. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Great Info SAAR... Thanks!

9. KHM

KHM Well-Known Member

My husband has a fraud/hawk alert. I think its TU's way of being different. He placed a fraud alert, so whenever someone applies for credit in his name they have to call him at home to verify the app. They have it placed under 'hawk alert'
    Hope this helped.
    Kellie

10. anna

anna Well-Known Member

Maybe 'cause I'm disputing inquiries as not mine - never applied?????

11. PsychDoc

PsychDoc Well-Known Member

I sure hope that Bkev's "never applied for credit -- please remove" method of disputing inquiries doesn't result in a spate of hawk alerts being applied to our Trans Union files. :(

Doc

12. anna

anna Well-Known Member

Yea, Bkev!!!!

13. bbauer

bbauer Banned

Well, I guess that would be a great reason for someone who never applied for credit anywhere, but if you did apply for credit and used it to remove an inquiry just because you thought that it was hurting your score then that would be nothing but a damnedable lie.

I guess it's Bkev's business because only he knows whether or not he ever applied for credit. Maybe he never has, I don't know. But if he has then in my not so humble opinion, that makes him nothing but a bold faced bare **sed liar and if he goes around on public bulletin boards trying to convince others that they ought to follow his examples and make liars out of themselves too then that's just reprehensible in my books.

Most especially when he's running around on some personal crusade "just trying to make sure the public is informed and that they don't go bit by other posters on this board and he is only trying to be sure that everybody else is obeying the law. That's nothing but hypocrisy then.

It's just simply wrong to be advocating that others go about telling a bunch of damned lies. If he don't mind being a liar then that's his business but it just isn't right to con others who might not stop to think about the moral and possible legal consequences into doing that kind of thing.

I always taught my kids that if a man will lie, he will cheat and if he will cheat he will steal and if he will steal then he will kill to cover it up.

Our jails are full of the proof of that.

14. anna

anna Well-Known Member

I've gotta defend Bkev on this one. He said what he did, I thought it was a good idea, so I CHOSE to do it too.
    Anna

15. anna

anna Well-Known Member

Also, I haven't been at this long, but it's obvious to me that everyone here has done a little stretching of the truth. People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones!

16. Saar

Saar Banned

And if he will kill he will become a mass murderer, and then he'll commit acts of genocide. And then he'll call himself Osama. Or Adolph.

Indeed, Bill, disputing credit inquiries for the wrong reasons may well be the end of the world as we know it.

Saar

17. bbauer

bbauer Banned

Yes, Saar and others, I know. It's just a little white lie. Won't hurt them a bit and we can accomplish our ends. We have good reason to lie because they lie to us all the time. It's the accepted thing to do these days. After all, everybody does it, don't they? And then they go home and get mad at their kids and do their best to teach their kids that it's not right to tell a lie.

When I was a kid, my dad and mom taught me that my word was my bond and that if I said something it had better be the truth because if others could not rely on what you said then you were nothing but trash. That's the way everybody was brought up when I was a kid. That's just the way it was.

"Everybody" in here keeps trying to harp on how it's wrong to not pay your bills and it's wrong to try to skip out on your bills and how you have a moral obligation to pay your bills. That theme is harped on time and time again. How it's wrong to ask for validation and then when the bill collector makes some little unintentional error use that as an excuse to not pay your bills and make him pay them instead. That's just wrong some say and preach. You know you owe the bills and you ought to be responsible for your own actions. Ok. I can agree with that.

But please explain to me if you can how it's OK to tell a lie to a credit bureau when the law plainly states it's illegal and you know it's wrong and then claim it's wrong for someone to stand up for his God given and constitutionally protected rights come what may, win, lose or draw?
    How do you explain the logic in that?

How do you go around in your daily life telling lies, even little white lies to a credit bureau and then go home, face your kids and tell them it's wrong to lie?

One is either a person of moral conviction, an American willing to stand up and tell the truth in all circumstances and regardless of the consequences so he can look his fellow man in the face and say "I am an American and a God fearing person therefore I will not tell a lie because I know it's wrong" or he is morally corrupt, maybe telling the truth when it suits his best interests at the moment and maybe not.

I want my kids to look up to their dad because they know he is an honest and honorable man who tries his best to live within the law and expects others to do the same.

It's wrong to tell a lie under any circumstances. It's not wrong to expect others to do the same and know them for what they are when they prove that they don't live by the standards of morality they expect others to live by.

A lie is a lie is a lie and that's the size of it as far as I am concerned.

An honest mistake is one thing, an outright lie knowingly told to another is simply wrong.

18. MT

MT Well-Known Member

bbauer: could you maybe leave it alone, your post is completely unnecessary and only serves one purpose. Is this thread going to turn into another argumentative and annoying list of back and forth postings? It's true that I can choose to read or ignore your posts, but when you and BKev and whoever else start in on each other in the middle of interesting threads, it makes it difficult to find relevant and useful information.

19. Saar

Saar Banned

Indeed, Bill, you're the master of twist :)

The last thing I do is advocate telling lies. I did, however, find your assertion, suggesting that he who disputes INQs for the wrong reason is capable of murder, somewhat unfounded.

BTW - are CreditWrench customers eligible for the "executive brief" version of your posts? j/k

Saar

20. ohnostuck

ohnostuck Well-Known Member

You know I just was going to post on this same thing. My credit report reads the same from Experian. I thought it was weird too