Equifax: 2 Files, Now What ????????

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by NiceGuy, May 2, 2002.

1. NiceGuy

NiceGuy Well-Known Member

I am sooooo frustrated!!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!

I just got the results of my EQ dispute in the mail and guess what?

It is a COMPLETELY different credit profile than any I have received in the last two years. Everything is wrong, and I mean everything. Every account that I disputed in the past two years is back to its pre-dispute status. My BK is listed wrong, and most of the "last reported" dates aren't in the last 3 years.

I received a correct report as recently as two weeks ago and the rep I talked to assured me that I only had one file at that point. Now, all I can access is the totally F***ED up one, even if I go online to credit watch and request a new one. The one that was almost perfect is now nowhere to be found.

Has anyone experienced this before. What should I do next? Should I just immediately sue the bastards? Every account is wrong, so there are about 20 or so violations of FCRA, too big for small claims. I just don't even know where to start. Even duplicate accounts that were deleted from my "other" profile are on here. It is like starting back at square one. The inquiry list is totally different as well.

HELP!!! I need this fixed as I am going to be applying for a mortgage soon! Anyone???? I hope that someone has been through this before and can offer their advce!

Thanks in advance!
    NiceGuy

2. cash1

cash1 Well-Known Member

I have the same problem. I was able to convince Experian of a problem on April 5th by making them pull up 2 different file numbers.

They were rude, told me it couldn't happen, transferred me to a group they called the "professionals". When I asked the "professionals" for an employee number, name, case number, anything to be able to call back on if it was not fixed and they told me no.

They told me it is a manual process and will take 30 days. Nothing has happened yet(May 2nd).

I figured my creditors see one file(only seven accounts), and in CE I see another. Of course I have know way to know the score my creditors get.

I posted here and at http://www.proselitigant.net( http://www.proselitigant.net/wwwthr...page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&part=1#Post162 ). All the opinions I get were that the CRA is allowed mistakes, as long as they make reasonable efforts to correct.

I will contact Experian on May 5th and tell them 30 days are up, but...

3. NiceGuy

This is truly major problem for me since I called my friend at the CU and she pulled my file today.

She only gets the "wrong" second file that I received today. My report that she pulled last month is nowhere to be found. Even she was dumbfounded!

I guess I will try to call them tomorrow, but their hours suck, 9-5 only and I am at work the entire time. I'm sure the reps will tell me I mus be smoking something like they did last time when they told me there clearly was only one file for me (about a month ago)!!!

4. cash1

cash1 Well-Known Member

5. NiceGuy

I called them this morning. And, of course the rep puts me on hold forever, comes back and says, sir, you only have one file at EQ.

NICE!!! I stated that I have the other file dated two weeks ago right in front of me. She said she believed me but there was nothing that she could do. Her system only shows one profile. Even when I gave her the other file's confirmation number, she can only pull up the new one with it.

She said the only way to fix it is to fax both profiles to them and indicate the problem on the cover letter. Is this common???

Is there a specific statute of FCRA that forbids two files? I stated in my fax that if the issue was not resolved within 7 business days, I would commence legal action against EQ.

6. mindcrime2

mindcrime2 Well-Known Member

Not sure if this is "exactly" what you're looking for, but it may help. Pay particular attention to subection (b):

§ 607. Compliance procedures [15 U.S.C. § 1681e]

(a) Identity and purposes of credit users. Every consumer reporting agency shall maintain reasonable procedures designed to avoid violations of section 605 [§ 1681c] and to limit the furnishing of consumer reports to the purposes listed under section 604 [§ 1681b] of this title. These procedures shall require that prospective users of the information identify themselves, certify the purposes for which the information is sought, and certify that the information will be used for no other purpose. Every consumer reporting agency shall make a reasonable effort to verify the identity of a new prospective user and the uses certified by such prospective user prior to furnishing such user a consumer report. No consumer reporting agency may furnish a consumer report to any person if it has reasonable grounds for believing that the consumer report will not be used for a purpose listed in section 604 [§ 1681b] of this title.

(b) Accuracy of report. Whenever a consumer reporting agency prepares a consumer report it shall follow reasonable procedures to assure maximum possible accuracy of the information concerning the individual about whom the report relates.

Basically, the way I read it, by allowing two credit reports on one individual, they cannot possibily be maintaining accurate reporting. And by telling you "uh there's nothing we can do" they are not following reasonable procedures to assure maximum possible accuracy.

7. the other

the other Well-Known Member

NiceGuy,

Alot of the normal customer service reps have trouble finding the extra profiles, but the supervisors seem to find them. If you call in and happen to get team2 ask for the supervisor Amy. She is helping me to overcome a similar problem (except that I apparently had 4 profiles).

8. QUEEN_BEE

QUEEN_BEE Well-Known Member

niceguy, cash1:

Has anything changed with your multiple credit profiles? Have they merged them? Please update.

Thanks

9. drmgirl6

drmgirl6 Well-Known Member

And NiceGuy, if they can't help you, call Robin Hollands office at 404-745-7800. If you don't get her, leave a message and she will refer your problem to someone that can really help you. The customer service reps are ok but if you want it done right the first time, go to the top. I just went through the same thing and my file has been corrected and merged into one. Hope this helps.

10. SweetnSas

SweetnSas Well-Known Member

I had the same thing happen to me. Up until last week or so, I've been receiving one file and all of a sudden, I get another file.

However, when I go online, I'm pulling the right one. I had my file pulled when I applied for a mortgage in March and they pulled the right one.

I go to finalize paperwork the end of this month. If my right file doesn't show up...its off to court we go...no kidding!

11. cash1

cash1 Well-Known Member

Love,

Sorry I missed this, I was traveling.

It took 2 months and many frustrations(typical CRA crap) later, they resolved it.

I am not sure how their data is stored in their database's, so I am not sure wether they merged the two different files I was seeing, or if they just added additional spellings of my name to cause the query's to find all the information that I saw two views of.

Initially it caused my score to drop, but at least I could work on correcting my complete file. I have since raised my score at Exp 25 points above the pre-merged score.

Are you having a similar problem?

12. darkdoj

darkdoj Well-Known Member

It's happening to me with Equifax as well. Some problem with my report makes my file get hashed every month. THEN the seem to just go back to whatever backup/tape they have lying around. I've disputed one particular item 21 times now. Each time they delete it, but then it comes back when they have to restore, fix or do whatever to my file.

13. QUEEN_BEE

QUEEN_BEE Well-Known Member

cash1,
    Yes, I had two files also. Fortunately I called and got a rep that was very helpful.

Niceguy,
    What is the status of your dilemma?