ACT - CA? long but interesting

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by mitchra, Jul 30, 2002.

1. mitchra

mitchra Well-Known Member

Had the weirdest conversation with ACT today. They did not identify themselves until I did. We spent at least three minutes back and forth;

Me: What company is this?
    Him: tell me your name:
    Me: tell me your company
    Him: tell me your name or affidavit #:
    Me: I don't have the affidavit number, I am at work and left it at home - tell me your comapny.
    Him: tell me your name, ss #
    Me: I don't give out my SS #.

You get the idea,

Finally I broke down and told him my name. The curiosity was killing me. I wasn't in their system though, as it turns out they were looking for my wife.

They do not cite the minimirranda. Infact they wont even verbally accept a request for for validation. . They were looking for my wife on a debt over 8 years old that is not even on her credit report any longer.

They do take Western union quick pay and "sex over teh phone"...lol I misheard the guy say checks over the phone and thought he said sex over the phone. I asked him what??? are you gay or something...I am not going to give you sex over the phone. It was the weirdest conversation.

Here is their number 1-866-244-7109. They called and left a message stating to call this number concerning an affidavit number xxxx at my wifes grandmothers house. Very mysterious. I wasn't even going to identify myself, but they wouldn't tell me the company until I did. When I fianlly told them my wifes name they started demanding payment from me. I said send validation. Had to say it three times before the guy telling me about sex over the phone heard me. Then he said; "well you will have have to talk to my supervisor Mr Henderson" Me, "oh no not the dreaded Mr. Henderson." Then Mr. Henderson got on the line, (don't you think it's funny the way these guys are always Mr. such and such or Mrs. such and such. Like that is supposed to create some level of fear in us. " oh crap, now i have to talk to Mr. Henderson - he may give me a real scolding"...lol. I think from now on I will introduce myself as Mr. Mitchra.) I told Mr. Henderson I wanted validation. He said what do you mean validation. I said the FDCPA allows me to request validation. He said, "oh, your and FDCPA expert?" I said yeah. He then said; "we will just sue" I said your going to have a tough time doing that since the SOL is long since expired. He said - so you admit the debt is yours then. I said, "no the other guy told me the date."

Oh yeah - he demanded to know where my wife was. I told him she died...He said; "so you think your funny. I said; "I try my best". Then he demanded to know where she was again... I said I don't have to tell you sh*t. You shouldn't even be discussing this with me since I am not the one you're after - violation number three - lets see if we can go for four. That was when he hung up on me.

Anyone had experience with these jokers? I may need their address in case they put the item back on her report and re-age.

2. picantel

picantel Well-Known Member

That is funny as hell. You could always play with them awhile and then write a nasty BBB letter, get their fax, send them a cease/desist letter stating never to call again and letting them know the SOL is up and if they sue you will use the SOL defense, they will lose, and you will countersue for all of their violations. Oh, and get it on tape.

3. mitchra

Yeah, I would, but the SOB's won't give their address or fax. It took me 5 minutes just to get the name of their company out of them. I swear it ws like talking to a bunch of bullies from high school. I laughed all the way through the conversation.

4. LKH

LKH Well-Known Member

Information can now cross check ph #'s for addresses. Although I don't know if toll free 1411 can, but try. Call 1-500-555-1212 and ask if they can check by ph #. If so, give them the # and see what they have. You'll have to wait til manana as they operators are only there 9-5 I think.

5. mitchra

Just pulled the wife's EQ report; the following inquiries from ACT appear:

02/02/2002 AR-Act Inc

01/28/2002 Act Inc

These jokers never got her permission. The AR is not viewed by businesses but the other is a hard inquiry I think. Is this a violation?

They have not reinserted the 8 year old tradeline, mentioned above but it appears they are watching her. She has only one negative tradeline left - a paid charge off for $92.00 that will come off next year (already tried disputing, it came back verified). That would suck if ACT does something stupid. I don't need the hassle.

Violation #4 and counting...

What a bunch of idiots!!!

6. LKH

LKH Well-Known Member

If they are a ca and are attempting to collect on a debt, then unfortunately, they have a permissible reason to pull credit.

7. mitchra

Darn, well I still got the three above..lol

8. mitchra

I guess they can just go on pulling forever?

9. LKH

LKH Well-Known Member

Actually if they keep pulling every week or 2 as it appears they may be doing, that is called "poisoning" the report. If they do ar's every month, I don't know if you can do anything. But, if they keep pulling hard inq's every month, then I think you will have a claim for damages.

10. mitchra

No they just did it those two times.

I noticed it before, but just figured it was something she applied for and didn't tell me about. (She loves to sign up for all those sweepstakes and gimmicks that end up calling to sell vacation time share packages... I think I broke her of this, but we will see.)

Anyway, I guess now I know who it is at least.

11. KHM

KHM Well-Known Member

Mitchra-
    I've been searching the web trying to find an address for you, I havent found one yet, but look at what I found:

http://www.fms.treas.gov/debt/dmpca.html

I found it to be an interesting read.

12. picantel

I am wondering what the heck ACT stands for. Of course if we knew that it would be easy to track em down. I have caller ID and I love it but that may not apply here.

13. picantel

You know, you could try calling equifax and asking for their listed address. I know experian will list the address of each hard inquiry. I called the number and an answering machine of enrique posado came up.

14. picantel

ACT
    Automated collection technology based in texas
    fax(972) 840-6346
    will find more info in a bit

15. picantel

Street Address: 2425 N. Central Expressway #1000
    Richardson, TX 75080

Telephone Number: (866) 261-1026

Primary Business Classification: Collection Agencies

BBB Customer Experience Record
    Based on BBB files, this company has an unsatisfactory record with the Bureau due to one or more unanswered complaints regarding dissatisfaction with the company's service.

HAHAHA. Go get em.

16. JohnM

JohnM Well-Known Member

AUTOMATED COLLECTION TECHNOLOGIES INC
    2425 N CENTRAL EXPY STE 1000
    RICHARDSON, TX 75080-2748

Registered Agent
    LAW OFFICES OF DEAN MALONE, P.C.
    900 JACKSON STREET SUITE 730
    DALLAS, TX 75202

State of Incorporation TX
    File Number 0107523300
    Charter/COA Date April 28, 1988

Charter/COA Type CHARTER
    Taxpayer Number 17522333586
    ------------------------------------------------------------

ACT...real low life bottom feeders. I asked for validation they refused, I then told them their bond with the State of Texas had expired and they were in violation just by operating.....

They never called again and they renewed the bond quickly..

Also this is an interesting piece of the Texas State Finance Code:
    -----------------------------------------------
    § 392.202. Correction of Third-Party Debt Collector's or Credit Bureau's Files

(a) An individual who disputes the accuracy of an item in a third-party debt collector's or credit bureau's file on the individual may notify in writing the third-party debt collector or credit bureau of the inaccuracy. The third-party debt collector or credit bureau shall provide forms for the notice and, when requested, assist an individual in preparing the notice.
    --------------------------------------------------

I called ACT and asked for a copy of the form that is referenced above and told them I am REQUESTING assistance in preparing the form.

The guy just stuttured and told me they dont have any such form. I told him they better get a form quickly before I filed a complaint with the Teaxas AG.

The call was a blast..

JohnM

17. mitchra

Thanks for the info. I think I will leave them alone for now since they aren't reporting, but I will store the address away just in case.

18. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Oh, come on! You could have some fun and make some money!

19. mitchra

Don't tempt me...lol

20. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

Radio Shack... telephone tape recorder...

tape the calls... don't call from home ;)

send the validation letter out crr. dispute it directly with the CRAs...

wait 30 days.. sue. done and done. If it's past the reporting dla and sol for suing... you can only get them ;)

have fun. We sue to teach them lessons and to lessen their profits. Only when it's not profitable to break the law will they not.. and until then, it's your duty to take their money :)

when you're done, donate it to charity if you don't want it ;)