legal residence

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Mr Alan, Aug 2, 2002.

1. Mr Alan

Mr Alan Well-Known Member

I tend to move alot for employment. Would it be legal to list my parent's address (with their consent) as my legal residence for credit matters?

2. Mr Alan

bump

3. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

You can ALWAYS have a "MAILING/BILLING" address...

4. Mr Alan

Can I use the parent's address for CRA's?

5. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

TRY IT...put in a change of address with your credit cards and see what happens...

They may say RED LIGHT phone number is wrong state...OR give them your cell phone number (once the account is open...they CAN'T say NO cell phone numbers).

You MAY want to see what happens with just one account first...

6. too_poor

too_poor Well-Known Member

many companies won't ship to addresses not on file with the CC, so hile you can use any address for the billing address, you'll still need to report a secondary address if you plan to use mail order.

otherwise, as long as you pay your bills, it shouldn't matter.

7. Mr Alan

Hey, George:

I was going to switch everyting over to my parent's house. Do CC companies and CRA's have to know if I sleep there are not?

I live pretty close, but my parents' address would be more of a permanent address than mine.

8. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

If you spend the night there "OCCASIONALLY" should be good enough...(not an EXPERT)

9. bigmon

bigmon Well-Known Member

I had a job that required me to be away from home for 11 months a year and I used my parents address and it worked really good.

The only problem was ordering something online and having it shipped. Some credit cards like AMEX will let you have an alternative shipping address where you are working.

A little trick that sometimes works is when you checkout it asks if it's a gift and where to send it. Then you can send it to yourself but alter your name a little.

10. Mr Alan

That's not going to be much of a problem for me. I don't order that much mail order and when I do I can easily pick it up at my parent's house. They live fairly close.

So, that's the plan now. I'm going to change all my business dealings, e.g. credit cards, paycheck, tax info, etc ... and list my parent's address as my permanent address.

Anyone else see any potential problems, or is this legitimate?

11. Mr Alan

Oh, yeah ... guess I have to change my driver's license and checking account too.

12. bigmon

bigmon Well-Known Member

Looks OK to me. The other thing is if your parents first names are similiar to yours make sure the credit reports don't get mixed up.

I had this problem becasue I was a JR. and they sometimes got me and my father mixed up. It wasn't hard to fix, but keep an eye on it.

What kind of work are you doing? I worked at resorts and moved every couple months.

13. Tony V.

Tony V. Well-Known Member

I have a PO BOX and this is the ONLY addy that any Creditor or other business, person, has that I have given them....of course if they really wanted they (creditors or anybody) could really get your Physical Residence addy......I have NEVER had a problem on a credit app, by ONLY puting my PO BOX down....just a suggestion...

Tony V.
    San Diego, CA

eq 752
    exp 735
    trans 677 (same info as eq and exp)!!!!!

14. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Some applications say -------->NO PO BOX...

You can also be DENIED a credit card for one reason----->PHONE NUMBER LISTED IS A CELL PHONE...

VOICESTREAM ADVERTISES "IT IS THE ONLY PHONE YOU NEED"...I WORK WITH PEOPLE THAT DID JUST THAT...THEY HAVE NO "HOME" PHONE ANYMORE!!!

LET ME SEE...CELL PHONE 24/7...HOME PHONE 5-10 HRS PER DAY???

15. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

...MORE.

NO CELL PHONE NUMBERS???

Advertising reasons???

They CAN'T call your CELL PHONE for advertising reasons...(YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR THE CALL---sort of)----->MIGHT BE ILLEGAL TO CALL YOU???

16. tix

tix Well-Known Member

I have a Mail Boxes Etc. They are always there to receive packages. If you are on the road, they will overnight your packages to you. So far this has worked great.

17. Why Chat

Why Chat Well-Known Member

I have a family member who has had my home as his legal address for 10 years, he travels a lot,and I handle his accounts. However, he also has my address as his legal address for voting (absentee) car registration,insurance, IRS and all other legal matters. He has had NO problem having purchases delivered to wherever in the world he happens to be, he has NO problem with getting telephone and utility service at wherever he is,he opens and closes accounts whereever he goes and pays on line for his cc bills.