Post BK strategy re: CA's

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by lyttlemac, Aug 3, 2002.

1. lyttlemac

lyttlemac Well-Known Member

I listed all of my original creditors in my Ch.7, but didn't list any of the collection agencies that handled the accounts because I never really felt like they were legitimate creditors. Was this a mistake? Several of these CA's are listed on my credit reports, but I don't want to tell them specifically that the account they're trying to collect on was discharged, only because I'm thinking that a bunch of collection tradelines with notations showing "included in BK" would probably make it harder to eventually challenge the entry for the BK itself.

I'm thinking I should proceed with the validation procedure with the CA's because the OC's (who were included in the BK) shouldn't be able to send documentation to the CA's because that would be a violation of the discharge order, wouldn't it?

On the other hand, if the CA's really does try to get info to validate with from the OC, and the OC informs them that the debt was discharged, I don't see how the CA can list the debt as included in BK, since I didn't include the CA in my BK, can they?

Am I making this more complicated than it really is?

Thanks.

2. irish

irish Active Member

You are making it much more complex than it really needs to be. If you had it listed--and even not sometimes--send them a validation letter and a cease&desist. You don't talk to them. You don't send them a copy of your discharge papers. Just threaten them with legal action if they continue to harass you. Most won't. Those that do--then sue.