can CA delete OC's listing?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by swingin76, Aug 3, 2002.

1. swingin76

swingin76 Member

Hi there,

I have an old chargeoff from Beneficial/Household from about 3.5 years ago for $676. I recently got a settlement offer from Coldata for about $300 for this account.

What I'm wondering is should I bother sending Coldata a payment for deletion letter? Coldata isn't reporting anywhere, the only mention of the account on my CR's is from Beneficial saying it was charged off, and in collections (2 separate listings). Can Coldata delete the listings for payment even though they are listed from Beneficial? Or am I better off handling it with Beneficial themselves?

Thanks! :)

2. whyspers

whyspers Well-Known Member

No...only the furnisher can delete, although the CA can apply pressure to the OC to have them delete, or can ask them to delete.

L

3. rblues

rblues Well-Known Member

So, on the other side of the coin, we can have the OC "encourage" the CA to delete, right?

Never done it before, but considering sending the OC a letter of "encouragement" regarding the CA accepting my settlement (which is for the full amount) and deletion.

What do you think Whyspers?

4. whyspers

whyspers Well-Known Member

If its listed on your credit report under the agency, I guess the first thing to do would be determine whether they actually own the debt or are just collecting on it. If they own, then I can't see where the OC would get involved or what benefit it would be to them to do so. If it is just assigned, then you might be able to swing it.

Good luck with it!

L

5. Jenasea9

Jenasea9 Well-Known Member

I have a similar situation (kinda). I paid an OC after they corrected my bill to what it should have been all along and didnt know a CA had the debt. I pulled my report and voila it is there showing unpaid. I called and told them I paid the oc and to remove the tradeline. They updated the tradeline to paid collection. I called to have it removed (they never sent me a letter...they mailed out 3 letters to addresses similar to mine but i never received it) To make a long story short they wont remove unless the OC tells them it is ok. The OC states they have nothing to do with it since the CA is reporting (besides she told me it was a debt I owed even thought the amount is wrong). So it is still there.

I sent a letter of validation to the CA. Is there anything else I can do?

6. swingin76

swingin76 Member

Thanks whyspers, that's about what I thought :)