What should I do?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Dani, Aug 3, 2002.

1. Dani

Dani Well-Known Member

Okay, the world has hit a whole new low.

Back in May I went for a check-up to my doctor's. I usually pay my co payment before I leave the doctor's office, but my insurance terms had changed and I wasn't sure what my co pay was.
    Well, the receptionist said she would bill me after the insurance company paid them...no problem. I did not receive a statement in June (and to be perfectly honest I forgot about the bill). Yesterday, I received the statement in the mail stating "payment due immediately" (appreantly they billed me in June..but I received no statement). No big deal I will pay it Monday. The thing that truly frightens me is on the statement is my entire name, address, phone #, SSN, and DOB. Now I am scared. Someone (or the post office) is walking around with my statement and all my personal information. I am livid. How is this even allowable? Anyone can get hold of this and I am SOL (not statue of limitations).

I have already began typing my letter. I plan to deliver to the dr.'s office with my payment on Monday. Anyone have any ideas other than finding a new doctor. I really like this doctor..I have been going for 7 years and don't wish to change. But, this method of billing just stinks.

Onward to "what I hate about life" complaint #2:

Hubby went golfing the other day. The golf course refused to allow him to use a cart, unless he gave them his SSN and home phone #. He did it! I am quite sure who I am mad at the most..him for actually giving them the info, instead of telling them to screw off and walking out or the golf course for asking for such personal information. No other golf course has ever done this. Is this a new low? What's next the grocery store wanting my CR before they allow me to buy groceries? Unreal.

Sorry, I just feel like venting.

Dani

2. Nave

Nave Well-Known Member

LOL

Really, Dani, I hear you.
    First, the Doctor uses a billing company and MAY not even know this is going on. I would point it out to him/her that you are livid and would take your business elsewhere because of this fact, and see what they say.

Second, I get asked for my SS# for inane reasons and I respond with "I am sorry but I do not give out my SS#, would you take a driver's license # instead?" and so far everyone of them has said yes. I am not certain, but I believe if they are requiring a SS# for reasons not specified by law, they can not refuse an alternate means of identification.

Good luck with the Doc.

-Peace, Dave

3. Dani

Dani Well-Known Member

In Virginia, your SSN is your DL # unless you request otherwise (I requested otherwise). Hubby did not. I think they would have accepted a DL number, but since there was no alterative he had to give him his SSN. I guarantee next week he goes down to the DMV and asks his number to be changed...something I have been telling him to do for the past 3 years. I love it when I am right. :) Unfortunately, in my household I am not always as right as I would like to be. :(

I just find it odd that the golf course wants this kind of info to drive a golf cart...what can you do to a golf cart? I guess you could drive into a pond or a bunker, but then you would have to walk back to the club house to get a new one anyway...so they would find out.

Dani

4. whyspers

whyspers Well-Known Member

Dani, I can understand your concern to a degree, since it is scary to have all of your personal information out there. If you think about it, though, this information is circulated widely. When you file your taxes all of that info goes through the mail (or at least did until recently when e-filing became popular).

When you pay a credit card bill, in order to ensure proper credit, you are supposed to write your credit card number on the check. Think about how many people see that...the people at the cc company, each bank it passes through, the people who scan or catalog and store checks and whew...it could go on and on.

When you write a check, a lot of places ask for drivers license and some ask for your ssn as well and will write down your dob from your drivers license.

Its very scary how easy it would be for someone to have their identity stolen. Too much info out there available for anyone wanting to find it.

For what its worth...I'm sorry...I know its upsetting.

L

5. flush

flush Well-Known Member

This is where technology kicks in.

A national ID would be ideal, given the proper technological advancement - holographic features, photo id, finger print, computer chip etc all rolled into one.

6. Dani

Dani Well-Known Member

Thanks whyspers.

I understand our information is out there swarming all over the place. It just upsets me to think that companies don't realize they need to use some type of security (or common sense) to make sure this doesn't happen. There was no reason for my DOB and SSN to be on the bill.

Ugh. I now know why I always paid up front before. It just concerns me since identity theft is on the rise...why make it easier for criminals? Heck, whoever is walking around with my June statement got a heck of a deal. They didn't have to do any of the work. Hopefully, whoever got it was too lazy to put it back in the mailbox and just tore it up and threw it out...hopefully without opening it. Better yet, maybe they shredded it...crosscutted. Oh well, if I see new CCs showing up on my CR I will find out who the jerk is and beat the crap out of them.

Dani

7. Dani

Dani Well-Known Member

Anything that gets the government involved I refuse to participate. ;)

Actually a national pin number (say 8 digits long) would be benefical though. Eg. The only way someone could access your CR would be with your code. When you applied you would have to supply the creditor with an 8 digit code, encrypted of course, and something only the computer could read...and not a human being. This would stop someone from applying for credit under your name...even if they did have your SSN, DOB, and everything else.

Dani

8. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Dani:
    You've probably built a strong relationship with this DR over 7 years! I'd write a letter to their attention and explain your concerns. They are valid and reasonable. It's surely not personal and I believe your DR will agree with the good common sense in not sending all that vital info though the mail. Are you going to be going for another visit? Maybe an "in-person" expression of your concern is the answer!

I understand, I really do. I have a smiilar situation but not financial. I have a doc I absolutely love...but she has this one receptionist that is, well, lacking in customer service skills. Ok, she's just nasty..and naturally, not just towards me (whole family goes to this doc). LOL Anyway, I've been debating how best to express my concern (I hate to call in if I think Ms. "Joyful" might answer) and maintain the postive relationship I have with everyone else at the office. I'm going to do it in person...with a matter-of-fact expression of concern. Give a few factual examples. I figure the doctor may not know.

Anyway, good luck to you on this...

9. whyspers

whyspers Well-Known Member

I'm all for a national id card (since the SSN plays that role so poorly), but anything that gets embedded under the skin as an identifier....well, you can count me out. I guess it brings too many thoughs of "the mark of the beast" and having to have a number before being able to buy a loaf of bread". Not saying it is...but it sure makes me think of Revelations...lol.

L

10. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

LOL, whyspers, will you let us know what happens on this?