Harrassment

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Kagee, Aug 4, 2002.

1. Kagee

Kagee New Member

Is a creditor permitted to call my parents home? I lived with them briefly 10 years ago. I have also had the same phone # for 10 years.
    My parents are in their mid seventies and my father is ill, so this really upsets me.
    To make matters worse, the payment was only 5 days late. Why wouldn't they just charge me a late fee like other creditors?

2. SCMomof5

SCMomof5 Well-Known Member

It depends upon the creditor. Technically, the FDCPA does not apply to creditors. In the subprime market some OCs start calling every day once you are 1 day late. If you don't answer the phone, they will then "verify your location" with the references you listed. Most consumers are horrified and pay immediately to prevent further embarrassment. Did it work for them? You bet it did!

3. Kagee

Kagee New Member

Thanks for the reply. I have never had this happen and it really angered me.
    I am having financial problems due to my husband's job loss and my recent surgery, so to have this happen just added to my distress. I understand that I am responsible for a late fee since some of my bills are late, and I accept that. But for them to harrass me and my family that way is ridiculous. It's a wholesale club and they have lost my business in the future. They will get the $400 I owe them but nothing more.
    Thanks again for the info.