Approved for third Citi card

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by DaveLV, Aug 9, 2002.

1. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

I applied online and was approved for an AAdvantage World MasterCard. I got the card yesterday. It was a Platinum Select World MasterCard with a whopping $2,600 credit limit.

I called just now and combined it with the smaller limit Platinum Select card I have. It now has a total CL of $10,000. This is now the second card I have that has a CL >= $10,000. This particular account was approved online last November for a $3,000 which they raised to $5,000 on the spot in return for me doing a balance transfer.

So for a while I had three Citi SD cards. I plan to wait another six months to see if I can do it again.

2. Nave

Nave Well-Known Member

Congratulations LVDave,
    I think I will try that too.

Did you have balances on your other 2 cards or were they relatively paid off?

-Peace, Dave

3. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

So,

Is this the understanding....that Citibank cards are score driven and if you wait long enough...as long as you have a decent score (and only 1 or 2 cards from then already) you'll be approved???

4. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

One of the other cards has a $10,500 limit and a $5,400 balance (4.9% until paid). The second card was the one I got an increase on last month. It had a $7,400 limit and a $989 balance (this month's charges).

5. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

I had heard before that they have told people they only allow TWO cards. This pretty much proves that theory wrong.

Both of my Citi accounts prior to adding the third had been open since November 2001.

I'd say the approvals are either totally score driven or a combination of score plus account history.

6. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

Actually it could also have something to do with which product you apply for. It may be reasonable to them that you have a non-rewards and a rewards account.

7. Nave

Nave Well-Known Member

Thanks for the information. May need the extra credit for November :))

Again congrats.

-Peace, Dave

8. Om

Om Well-Known Member

they've told me a couple of different stories;

"you can have any number of accounts"

"you can have two regular and one affinity"

"you can only have two total"

maybe they've changed their rules a bit but i know awhile back when the "BDD" was all the rage a lot of people were getting denied for their third account. (myself included)

9. sal826

sal826 Well-Known Member

Well I now know for a fact these cards ARE NOT SCORE DRIVEN. I applied online and then called in to check the status - they turned me down flat. Incidently the woman was happy to point out all the BADDIES in my report.

-Sal

10. JohnnyBloo

JohnnyBloo Active Member

What do you mean that they are not score driven? If they do not consider scores, how else did they manage to turn you down?

Johnny Blood

11. sal826

sal826 Well-Known Member

Johnny,

When I say score driven I meant PURELY score driven, examined only by a computer and not by human eyes - some card apps are actually approved in this manner.

-Sal

12. charlieslex

charlieslex Well-Known Member

sal826, Did you ask for reconsideration? Charlie

13. Butch

Butch Well-Known Member

Sal,

Do you have any idea which ones??

What kinda limits might be offered with a 790 score and NO derogs?

???

14. charlieslex

charlieslex Well-Known Member

Butch, I have a friend that has 800-825 scores and she has been getting 20k per card (Home Depot and Citi Plat Select). My opinion, with a 790 you should get about 15k+ per app without having to call and ask for more. Charlie

15. Derfel

Derfel Member

Does the multiple card approval have anything to do with citibanks aquisition of Associates? I had a student card with both, but citibank bought associates accoutns so now its listed as Assoc/Citi. Maybe they upped the card limit from two to accomadate people who already had two citibank cards and an associate card.
    -=Derfel=-

16. picantel

picantel Well-Known Member

Citibank turned me down with a 713. They said all ccs must be at least 1 year old so I did not qualify. I got my turndown letter yesterday and the only reason stated was inquiries so I have no clue what they are talking about. I cannot apply anymore though because with my bted personal loan I lost a ton of points due to a high revolving %. Oh well in 2 years I should or could be near 800. I hate waiting.

17. Amy B

Amy B Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Approved for third Citi card

pic had you not gotten an offer in the mail?

18. RichGuy

RichGuy Well-Known Member

I had two Citibank MCs and an Associates Visa in August 2001, when I got approved for a silver AAdvantage MC. But then in April 2002, I got turned down for the Gold AAdvantage MC because I had too many Citibank accounts: 3, not including the Associates Visa or my 5 Associates gas cards.

19. Amy B

Amy B Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Approved for third Citi card

Wow I don't think I've ever heard that excuse before (all cc's must be one year old)

20. LKH

LKH Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Re: Approved for third Citi card

I can tell you that line is a crock. When I did the BDD in Jan 02, I had several cards less than 1 year old. And when I was approved this week by citi, I had no less than 4 cards that are less than a year old. Pure b.s.