beware-Target card credit increase

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by jr, Sep 30, 2002.

1. jr

jr Well-Known Member

Last week I called the 1-800 number on the back of my Target Guest Card for a credit line increase. I have had the account for 1 year (perfect pay history)and the system declined the increase. Today I get a letter from target saying they pulled Experian. If I would have known that they would have pulled a report I would have not requested the increase as I don't want any more inquiries. Oh well, I guess Target card $200 limit is going to sit in the sock drawer for a long time.

2. christi523

christi523 Well-Known Member

Actually, I believe they do an A/R every so often with Experian which is a soft. So when you call for an increase and it is rejected, they use info they received from the last A/R to make a decision-they aren't actually pulling your report at the time of your request.

3. LKH

LKH Well-Known Member

You need to call and speak with a csr. Tell them you would like an increase. When they give you the nonsense answer, ask to be transferred to the credit dep't. I did this as have several other board members and received increases. I did it in August.

Oops. Apparently I don't read too well. We did this on the visa, not the guest card. Sorry.

4. mj

mj Well-Known Member

Christi's right - in >15 yeard of having an account with RNB/Fields/Daytons/Target the only "hard" inq. was when an account was 1st opened - the others are all "A/R" or soft.

-mj

5. jr

jr Well-Known Member

I hope they only did an A/R or soft inquiry. The last time I spoke to a CSR I asked him what I needed to do to get a credit line increase. The guy told me to make 6 consecutive monthly payments. That is exactly what I did and they still denied the increase. The letter from Target said they pulled Experian and due to my BK they could not give me a credit line increase. That is bull crap!!! If my bk from 1998 bothers them they should have never issued me the stinky $200 guest card. I am not going to speak to a CSR any more as it looks like they are giving me the run around as far as what I need to do to get a credit line increase. My guest card will sit in the sock drawer for a long time and I will not ask for any credit line increases any more from Target. Thank you all for sharing your experiences.

6. matt_r

matt_r Well-Known Member

Whenever I have called Target requesting a line increase, they always respond with the standard answer, "we don't do line increase requests...if you're eligible for one, it will happen automatically..."

Am I saying something wrong? I think I have called there twice, and both times this was their reply. I have the Target Visa, not the Target Guest Card.

7. christi523

christi523 Well-Known Member

jr,
    I also have a BK, but it's from 2001. My Target Guest Card is from 1997. I didn't include it in the BK as there was no balance on the card. Well I called 4 months in a row to get an increase and received a rejection each time due to the BK. Well, I finally called and talked to a rep, who told me "we can't give you an increase at this time, but we could pull a report(hard) and see what we can do". I told her NO WAY and I asked to speak to a supervisor and explained that I have never had a late in 5 years!! The supervisor agreed and gave me a $200 increase right away(whoopty doo!). Anyway, It really is a pain to get increases with the guest card. I only wanted an increase to help out my ratios anyway.

8. newstdt

newstdt Well-Known Member

I got mine about 3 mos after my discharge in 7/01. It started at $200 and they automatically raised it to $500 in just a couple of months, I never asked for it, it just showed up on my second statement. I'll never understand these crazy systems (but I am glad I got the increase).

Newstdt

9. sal826

sal826 Well-Known Member

The same happened to me: 3 months after I opened the account I was increased from $200 to $500 with no action on my part.

-Sal

10. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

GRRRRRRRRRRRRR....Target irritates me! I have no late pays, it's paid off in full, and I got denied for the second time for an increase, got the stupid letter saying they pulled Experian..checked experian...not even a soft was pulled, says reasons that don't apply to me at all. I call and am told that the fact that I made regular payments HURT me. I did make some over the amount due (up to double) but apparently that isn't enough. Then, this guy (who was the supervisor by this time) tells me the fact that I paid it off is now hurting me because I can't establish payments further? WHAT???

Ok, Had this account for over a year...never late, never over limit, credit has only gotten better since I opened it.....and so I'm damned if I do (make regular pays) and damned if I don't (cuz I pay it off!)

I'll never use them again! Oh, and the letter of reasons? They had the guts to say it was just a formality letter...not necessarily the reasons that they gave me....what? So, they are not being truthful in their reasons? UGH!!!

11. beary

beary Well-Known Member

"We are unable to honor your request at this time"

Sock drawer, here we go!

:-(

14 months, never late. Bal is $20.45

LOL as if I expected better results after reading this thread before requesting an increase.

I'm to get a letter "Of Explaination" now. Yippy Skippy :)

12. newstdt

newstdt Well-Known Member

Now that I think about it, my Mervyns has been $900 for over 15 years. I've never asked for an increase because I've never needed to charge that much there. It's just a retail account. Maybe RNB doesn't consider this in the same league as standard visa/mc because your selection at these places doesn't warrant such a high limit..

Personally, I'm happy with my $500 limit at Target. I go there for essentials and maybe a birthday gift here and there, if I HAD to charge more, shame on me. I know ratios and limits can work effectively to get your scores higher, but there are other cards to use to do this. I guess my point is when I think about how I use this card and what for, it makes sense that my limit is what it is. My Target is just a fun one to have at this point.

I'm not knocking anyone who wants higher limits, this is just how I see it for my own situation.

Newstdt

13. beary

beary Well-Known Member

Indeedy you're right. Having more than a $500 limit at Target would be insane for me. It's a good limit...heck, even $200 is a good limit. I sought an increase cause I wanted to by a Vaccum they have on sale which would be difficult to put on my card with it's balance right now. I'll just have to pay the $70 bal at the front curtesy desk and then cruise on to get the Hoover I want.

14. erik776

erik776 Well-Known Member

jr

I have a Target guest (store) card. I call every 91 day and ask to speak to a rep (1-800-659-2396 then press *,3,0 to get to a rep); I got an increase the last two times. I started at 200 and got an increase of 100 each time.

Note that if you get turned down, their computer will automatically reject any CL requests for 31 days.