what does "status Inactive/Never la

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by erik776, Oct 25, 2002.

1. erik776

erik776 Well-Known Member

On an Experian credit report, what does "Status Inactive/Never late" mean? This account is a revolving credit card that was last used in 1996. I don't want this to look like an open revolving credit card.

2. SCMomof5

SCMomof5 Well-Known Member

Leave it alone. It is "open" but it is used when computing your balance to limit ratio!

I have a $1500 inactive. I have a $1500 loan that is paid but listed as open. I have 2 CCs that are 612 on 700 and 260 on 300. (yeah I plan on paying them down). But I show 64% available in the limit to bal ratio. Whereas, if I did not leave those accounts alone, I would be at 90% usage!

3. erik776

Wow, that's amazing that it is open. Actually I have two of them on my Experian report. One is a credit card that was opened in 87 and last used in 93, last reported in 96 with a CL listed as NA. The other is a small store card that was opened in 88 and last used in 94, last reported in 96 with a CL of about $200. The problem is that with these two card open and my closed Nextcard, which is now listed as open, I have 8 revolving accounts. Generally I don't go over 15% CL utilization so the CL issue is not a problem.

I am just wondering if having these accounts open will make it harder to get more credit cards?

4. tracyb0313

tracyb0313 Well-Known Member

The problem is whether they are open, or you close them, you'll still show as having 8 revolving accounts.

When I first started, EXP showed 3 or 4 old accounts from the 80's as being open. Dumb me closed them all. I didn't know my score then, but I don't think it hurt them too much, because they are still showing in the age of my credit, because they were open for 15 years. A couple I HAD to close, as I was disputing and didn't want them to pull hards. The other 2, I should have just left open I guess.

5. learnmore

learnmore Well-Known Member

I just did the same thing the other day.

I must have taken an extra stupid pill that day. I had an old FCNB/Spiegel account (opened in 93) with a $2300 limit that was reporting "Open/Never Late". I disputed it as closed and lost 2 points.

Sheesh...you'd think I'd know better!

6. erik776

Yes. It just goes to show that one should be thoughtful before disputing any positive accounts. Thanks all. I guess I will leave the two account alone, especially since one of them is my oldest open revolving account.