oh yea...DirectTV does a hard inq.

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by trout, Jan 3, 2003.

1. trout

trout Well-Known Member

Just an FYI...

I was setting up to get direct tv at the new house, they casualy ask for your SSN. I asked why, she said they run your credit. I told her Id rather not do that and she gave me the option to pay my first month when they install it.

2. jlynn

jlynn Well-Known Member

Yep pulled Equifax on me, but they were "giving" me the system, including 4 receivers. I don't know what scores they want, but I didn't qualify and had to put up a $350 one year deposit.

3. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

I WOULD RATHER PAY 12 MONTHS UP-FRONT...

When I got DIRECTV years ago...they asked for SS#...I SAID NO...they REQUIRED 12 months payments UP-FRONT on my credit card with or with-out SS#

There was an offer going that if you paid for the full year, you got $300 back after 2 or 3 months in the form of a check...it was an "OFF-SET" of installation and the cost of the box.

4. Smit

Smit Well-Known Member

I know where to get Direct TV with out a credit check and you don't need to pay 12 months upfront. The only thing you need is a credit or debit card that it can be pulled out of automatically and a 12mo contract. This is all done online. We are getting ready to do this because when the sales guy came out he pulled our credit but the score was not high enough! We just bought our house but we couldn't get satellite! Check this out and tell me what you think? We are going to do this because they do Direct TV.

http://www.vmcsatellite.com/?aid=41847

5. nvbonedoc

nvbonedoc Well-Known Member

.....Now I remember why we got Dish Network........all they wanted was our credit card #.

NV Bone Doc

6. jdog0411

jdog0411 Well-Known Member

They actually do dish network, not direcTV, but it is basically the same type of service. I say go for it. They don't require a credit check for up to two receivers which is a good deal.

I would probably do that even though my credit is good enough to pass a credit check, simply because I wouldn't want to waste a hard inquiry on satellite service.

7. Smit

Smit Well-Known Member

Well it's better then them pulling credit isn't it? We will use our debit card from our checking account.

8. sirrowan

sirrowan Well-Known Member

I just got Direct TV installed Thrusday at my house. I ordered and paid for two receivers (w/system), they came and installed them in my home, and THEN ran a credit check. I said, isn't this putting the cart before the horse?

Anyway, I had to pay $58 upfront to get the system turned on. The lady told me that I would get a bill in the mail in about 10 days, but I would have a credit on it.

Running a credit check for this kind of service is wacky. I mean, If I don't pay my bill, just turn off my service. Easy.

9. Smit

Smit Well-Known Member

I agree! We had that problem with Cox cable! They charged us $60 fee for a low credit score! Then they kept sending us info on high speed internet. We called to ask about it and they said it would be $60 more for a low credit score even though we already have services with them! It is just a way to dup us out of our money. Like you said, all they would have to do is turn it off. Then they can be justified to charge a fee for reinstallation, but not upfront. How stupid!

10. the other

the other Well-Known Member

I have directv.

No credit check was run. We didn't have any deposit or anything required.

We had it installed, then I called the 1800 number to activate it. This was probably 3 years ago.

11. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

5-10 SECONDS TO ADD OR DROP CHANNELS

and also

5-10 SECONDS TO TURN IT OFF IF YOU DON'T PAY!!!

12. askaf

askaf Member

I see on the dish network flyers I receive that they require a valid SSN too. When I asked a local reseller, he said he was sure that this is just because they want to make sure only one free system per SSN is given out. (they are most interested in new subscribers). I am not going to sign up until I know for certain they do not pull!

13. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

THEM~~SS#
    YOU~~I WILL GIVE YOU A $100 ON MY CREDIT CARD TOWARD FUTURE BILLS...
    THEM~~OK
    THEM~~IT'S REQUIRED
    YOU~~BUH-BYE!!!

14. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Trout - when I bought my HD Box, DirecTV satellitle,
    Circuit City - I told them at time of purchase I would pay with AMEX.

When I activated, online, there was an immediate choice for credit card billing....
    I bill it to AMEX each month for convenience.

Remember, DEBIT CARDS can be used, but if your kiddies order a few extra PPV movies, that account might get overdrawn...

Another plus for the AMEX Green Card.

Congrats on the house though Trout! Fantastic!

FYI - I do love DirecTV - and like GEORGE said, you can snap a program change in 10 seconds online.

aarrff dogman

15. sandie511

sandie511 Well-Known Member

I bought a new tv at circuit city and decided to get direct tv because the sales man said it works best (as opposed to cable) with the HD tv I was buying. I asked if they do a credit check and he did not think so, he asked someone else and they said no. He said they just swipe your card at purchase. I said OK, I will buy it. Set up the install for the following Saturday. Man comes out and installs everything. When he is finished he calls Direct tv and gives them all the numbers from both receivers and then hands me the phone so I can tell the cs which programing I would like. The cs tells me to put my tv on a certain channel to make sure I am getting a picture and then explains a bit more about how to use. Then she said before we talk about programing I need to do a CREDIT CHECK! i said WHAT! I do not want an inquiry on my report. She said I understand, the other option is to give them a $50.00 deposit (which will go toward the first months statement), and i would have to give a credit card so they can directly bill me monthly. So, I gave them a credit card #. It just really pissed me off that they waited until everything was installed. They could have asked the night before when they called for the install time. What would have happened if I did not give them my SS# or a credit card #. Would the installer have taken everything away? So far I am not happy with Direct TV. I think the picture is awful on my new 51" HD widescreen. I have the installer coming back on Sat. If the picture is not better I am going to try and cancel.

16. NiceGuy

NiceGuy Well-Known Member

They told me the same thing when I was handed phone, I gave SS# and said ok, have at it with your credit check...

This was in 7/02. NO inquiry (hard or soft) has ever showed up on any of my CR's from DirecTv since then. Maybe their systems were down?

17. HawgHanner

HawgHanner Well-Known Member

There are only a couple of channels that are now broadcasting in true "high definition" mode. While the signal from satellites (DirecTV or The Dish Network) has more lines of resolution than cable television signals and it is digital, it is not a true HDTV signal. If you want to view high definition television, you first need a special satellite dish. The standard off-the-shelf satellite receiver box will not work. Once you get the HDTV DirecTV or Dish Network receiver, you then will only be able to watch 2 channels total on DirecTV in HDTV and 2 channels on the Dish Network. The rest have yet to broadcast in HDTV. If you get local channels via your satellite dish, those two will have some select programs in HDTV. Also, lets not forget that you will still need a HDTV receiver on your HDTV set in order to view HDTV programming (especially over-the-air local programming) in HDTV.

Don't confuse "digital" television with "high definition" television. They are not necessarily the same thing.

Hawg Hanner

18. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

well said hawg!
    I do have the ellipticall dish, 3 LNBs, and where I live, I can not get the Showtime HD channel. I do however get some locals and HBOHD and HD Network.

San Fran has converted most of its stations - fortunately.

Its worth it though - man its worth it!
    aaaarroooooo!!!!

aarf - dogman

19. REInvestor

REInvestor Well-Known Member

When I signed up with Direct TV in May 2002 they pulled a soft inquiry on EQ.

20. kgrant64

kgrant64 Well-Known Member

Re: oh yea...DirectTV does a hard

I didn't have a problem with Directv. I suppose it's because it is offered through a local utility company which I had good utility credit.