goodwill letter fires back

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by zhenya, Mar 24, 2003.

1. zhenya

zhenya Well-Known Member

I have a Paid Charge Off account with Macys. It was only reported on TU as a Paid Charge Off. EXP and EQ reported it as Paying as Agreed. About 10 days ago I sent the goodwill letter through PFB to Macy's asking to remove or update the record. Guess what? last friday the account started reporting on EQ as Paid Charge Off. They also updated the balance of the account on TU, but didn't update the status. Do you think they went ahead and changed reporting on purpose?

2. four20nik

four20nik Well-Known Member

Uhhh, yeah. Looks like they chose "to update the record" on their terms.

Sorry, just frustrated at at the a-hole oc's and ca's of the world, lol.

3. dixidriftr

dixidriftr Well-Known Member

Goodwills are designed for no more than a couple 30 day lates. Anything more and you will usually have to play hardball with the OC.

4. gc

gc Well-Known Member

I had six 90+ days lates and my goodwill letter worked. My creditor denied it at first, but I kept calling and sending them the letter. In less than a month, they agreed to remove the lates and sent the information to the bureaus. I am still waiting for the info to be updated on my credit reports though.

Before I started to dispute or write goodwill letters, I accepted the fact that I might wake up a sleeping giant through the process. That's a chance that you should be willing to take. i.e. I disputed an account being reported as 60+ days late and it came back verified paid charge off/settled less than balance full. So, this fired back, but I am in the process of having it re-investigated.

5. marci

marci Well-Known Member

The goodwill letter that I created and that Psychdoc modified and marketed (lol!) on this board was written specifically for PAID charge-offs with huge baddies. It is neither for open accounts or minor baddies, though it can be used on those.

http://consumers.creditnet.com/straighttalk/board/showthread.php?threadid=27190

Citibank removed a paid CO trade for me, and has done it for some others on this board. GC is right; you did the honorable thing by asking, but sometimes it doesn't work and you DO wake the sleeping giant. Just because you ask for mercy doesn't mean you'll always get it. Que cera, cera...

Macy's is now owned by Rich's (sort of...) and Rich's handles Macy's credit dept and credit reporting dept. I have a few 30 day lates on my Rich's trade (though in reality I was late far more times and worse than that). I called the credit reporting dept. and asked for a goodwill removal of the 30 day lates and the lady agreed to do so b/c she said that she didn't even see those 30 day lates on her screen. But here's the catch...

In exchange for removing these 30 days (b/c she coudn't verify them) she said she woudl update to report the stuff she did see, which were several 60, 90, and 150 day lates (true, unfortunately). She said that's the only way she could do it.

So I asked her to leave things the way they were, and she agreed.

You can't win them all.