Need some advise

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by Shelby, Apr 18, 2003.

1. Shelby

Shelby Well-Known Member

I have an interesting situation that I would like to get some opinions on.....we have a boat for sale that we advertised on the internet at www.oldboat.com and recently got a response from a person who says he has a automobile procurement company that specializes in the pruchasing and shipment of boats to their customers in the US, Europe and Africa. He has a customer interested in buying our boat and made us an offer. He says that upon our acceptance of the offer, the buyer will send us a cashier's check and then he will arrange for pick up of the boat. The thing is the company is in West Africa and the buyer is in Africa. I am just a little skeptical...I can't imagine someone wanting to buy our boat and have it shipped to Africa! I am sure that it would cost more to have the boat shipped there than what he is paying for the boat. It is an older wooden boat...nothing special. I am wondering if this could be some kind of scam? We responded by asking for more information. Are there any costs involved in the sale? What would be the exact amount the buyer would send us? There was a phone number to call for questions but we are not going to call Africa! I just want to be extra cautious. I cannot find any information on this company on the internet. I wanted to get the opinions of fellow creditnetters....does this sound suspicious to anyone else? What things should we ask before we committ to this deal? Does anyone know anywhere to check into companies in another country? BBB only covers US and Canadian companies. Thanks for your help.

2. jlynn

jlynn Well-Known Member

Don't those email scams that float around about money moving come from Africa. I could be wrong.

I would CASH the check and then deposit the cash so they have no info on your bank account, if you decide to go thru with it.

I would also make it a requirement that the check comes from a verifiable American Bank.

Just some thoughts.

It smells fishy (pardon the pun)

3. OnTheBayou

OnTheBayou Well-Known Member

It sure does smell fishy & you can't bank on that.

4. Mycroft

Mycroft Well-Known Member

This is a common scam, it's related to the Nigerian 419 scam.

The way it works is this:

The cashiers check will be for more than the sale price of the boat. They will find a good reason for doing this, some story about there being another financial transaction taking place, and it's just easier to have this other guy pay you than it is to arrange a money transfer from Africa.

They will ask you to deposit the cashiers check in your bank account, then wire the difference to them. You will feel confident in doing this because funds from a cashiers check are available immediatly.

About two weeks later, you will discover the cashiers check was no good, and your bank will deduct the amount from your account holding you responsible. You will never hear from these other guys again.

In short, don't do it.

Here is a useful site for more information.

http://home.rica.net/alphae/419coal/fighters.htm