Help with Discover

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by BlakMajix, Apr 23, 2003.

1. BlakMajix

BlakMajix Well-Known Member

Hiya!

I have a Discover card that is current /closed by Discover. When the account was officially closed I'm not sure, but I'm confident it was a long time ago. I've had the card since 92. I have many various lates on the account with about $700 left to go. The account has never gone to a collection agency and I haven't missed a payment in years.

Here's what the account looks like:
    Discover Financial
    Balance: $692
    Date Opened: 8/1992
    Reported Since: 1/2000
    Date of Status: 6/2002
    Last Reported: 3/2003
    Scheduled to come off: 11/2007
    History:
    30 days: 3-14 depending on report
    60 days: 2-10 depending on report
    90+ days: 3-12 depending on report

Considering this is not a charge off or collection account that I currently pay on, what can I do to have this one disappear from my report? I've heard Discover is up there with the best of them when it comes to not being cooperative. One thing of note is the wide variance between reporting agencies on the history of lates. None of them are on the same page in regards to this. Not sure if this will be helpful to my cause however.

Should I fire off a validation letter and go from there? Just seems strange to do this when it's an account I'm current on and make monthly payments to. Would a settlement be possible? I've seen some talk of writing an agreement on a check that says something to the effect of "if you cash this you agree to settle and remove my derogs". I'm not sure what this particular maneuver is called though. If I'm not mistaken this varies from state to state also? For the record, I live in PA if that makes any difference.

I did some searches on the board here for people with similar trouble concerning Discover but my situation seems to be a little bit different.

Anyone out there dealt with Discover before or have some advice?

2. jlynn

jlynn Well-Known Member

It its scheduled for 11/2007, it sounds like your lates were around 2000. I can't speak for Discover, but sometimes they cant look back further than two years, and since you swear on your life (LOL) you haven't been late since then, it won't IMHO hurt to dispute as never late. What could it hurt?

I tried this tactic with Foleys (it was paid off), they were reporting lates all over the place on mine and DH's reports. For ex., one one report, they reported me 24 x 90, and DH 5 x 90 on the same account! None of the accounts matched among the 3 CRAs nor between DH and I!

So, I let Foleys verify their little hearts out for a while. Then I wrote them a nutcase of sorts threatening to sue, and asked them how in the world they verified all these different dates. I demanded they send me copies of all statements from the alleged date of first delq., thru the time the account was paid off. I gave them 30 days.

I personally had -0- legal standing (TX laws don't cover OC's very well), but at some point its like What the Heck? It couldn't get much worse!

Foleys evidently decided they didn't want to do the digging, and voila instant paid as agreed, never late 8 yr old account on my CR.

Others may have more direct experience with Discover, but if it were me, I would start with the following plan of action:

Dispute with CRA's - they'll probably verify
    Send out a bleeding heart goodwill letter - 50-50 shot with that one.

Design a nutcase that fits your needs.

By the time and if you have to get to step 3, your'e gonna be a pro and the letter will be a cakewalk!

jlynn

3. BlakMajix

jlynn,

Was just reading back through this post and I wanted to know if taking the "never late" defense with the CRA's would work considering I also have a notation that states the account was closed by the creditor. Should I perhaps go with "never late - closed by consumer" or something to that effect?

From what I've read, Discover is almost a no-go on anything that has to do with deleting a tradeline but they can be sloppy when it comes to varifying lates and such.

Also, being that I am still paying on this account, would this have an effect on the chances of it showing back up in the future even if I did get it set to "never late"?

Anyone else out there have any advice on dealing with Discover in my situation?

Thanx!

4. BlakMajix

*bump*

Anybody?

This Discover thing has me unsure of how to proceed.

Thanx!