Need quick Advice...Please...

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by cbrock007, May 29, 2003.

1. cbrock007

cbrock007 Member

Hello everyone...

My wife (before we were married) co-signed on a car with her boyfriend at the time. About a year later, he purchased a 2nd car only in his name. Shortly after that, he left the country never to be seen again.

My wife always made the payments on the car she originally co-signed with the deadbeat; she was never late and recently paid off the loan.

However, the car he purchased in only his name was repo'd by Chrysler about 3 years ago.

Recently, we have been receiving letters sent to our house addressed to him concerning various debts from several years ago. I have sent the letters back to the sender...

Just today, we have started receiving phone calls from creditors wanting to speak with this guy...I don't know this guy and he has been living in New Zealand for at least 3 years!

How can I keep these people from calling and harassing us? They think we are harboring this guy and won't stop calling...

Any advice??

Thanks,

Cbrock007

2. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

GET CALLER-ID

GET AN ANSWERING MACHINE

ANSWER ONLY THE CALLS WHEN YOU KNOW THE PEOPLE CALLING...

DIAL TONE
    BEEP
    BEEP
    DIAL TONE

NO PRIVATE NAME/PRIVATE NUMBER CALLS

JUST DON'T ANSWER ANY OUT OF AREA (OR UNKNOWN) CALLS

If they ever leave a business name and address...you can send a C&D letter...

3. jlynn

jlynn Well-Known Member

Get their name and address and send them a cease and desist letter.

4. cbrock007

cbrock007 Member

Thanks...I shouldn't have to duck these people, it is not our debt.

Is there any type of law I can reference over the phone stating that they are in some sort of violation?

Thanks,

Cbrock007

5. Mycroft

Mycroft Well-Known Member

How do you respond when the collectors call? Do you say, "He doesn't live here." and then hang up? Or do you say, "Look, this is my wife's ex-boyfriend. He's left the country, gone to New Zeland, and we're never going to see him again."?

When I was a collector, I didn't want to waste my time trying to collect from people that couldn't be collected from, and I really didn't want to harass innocent people for someone elses debt. At the same time, a lot of the people who told me "he moved" were liars, and that alone didn't stop me from calling back.

If you take a minute to actually have a conversation with these collectors, explain the situation, explain that he's left the country, give forwarding telephone numbers and address information (even if it's in another country) and then ask them to take your phone number and address off his account, chances are they won't call back.

6. cbrock007

cbrock007 Member

Thanks again...We don't have any info where this guy is except which continent. I have explained nicely all of the info you have suggested but they must either think I am that person or I'm lying...

It's certainly frustrating...

Cbrock007

7. Mycroft

Mycroft Well-Known Member

Well, if you already tried being nice and it didn't work, send a cease and desist letter.

8. cbrock007

cbrock007 Member

Thanks for your replies...

I have an attorney in the family call a supervisor and take care of the matter. He assured they will remove our number and address from their files...

Thanks again...

Cbrock007