How can SEARS do this?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Flyingifr, Jul 16, 2003.

1. Flyingifr

Flyingifr Well-Known Member

Sears sold my account to a junk debt buyer in August 1999. In July 2003 Sears verifies to Equifiction the current status of the account.

Other than telling me to sue Sears for posting known false information on my CRA file can anyone shed any light on this?

2. TeeBee

TeeBee Well-Known Member

I had Sears reporting on EQ report 120+ past due on an account that was charged off in '97. Seems to be common that they inaccurately report status or report every month (Experian) even if the account is way old.

After disputing w/ EQ, they changed it to R9 (raised my score 20+ points) and then I got really lucky and TU changed the account to pays as agreed - that floored me. EX verified of course. No good ideas here because I just got lucky on a couple of disputes. Good luck!!

3. losercore

losercore Well-Known Member

I have a similar problem...
    Just out of curiosity. What did you dispute it as?

4. mark

mark Well-Known Member

im going to say it.
    sue them for posting false info on your credit report. just because you said so.

5. jlynn

jlynn Well-Known Member

It may be in the Hall of Fame Postings. If not do a search for Lizardking. He sued Sears, and the thread discusses the steps you have to take to sue an OC.

6. TeeBee

TeeBee Well-Known Member

Re: Re: How can SEARS do this?

With EQ, I disputed as incorrect status - it is my oldest TL and I don't want to lose it so I did not dispute as "not mine" for EQ - so they changed the status from R5 to R9 and removed the payment history. With TU, I think I actually did dispute as not mine (I will double check my files) and they changed it from a charge off to "pays or paid as agreed" - but like I said, I think I just got really lucky on that.