I'm starting, please let me know...

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by HJ83, Jul 17, 2003.

1. HJ83

HJ83 Member

...how I'm doing.

I am a 20 year old full time college student, with a full time job. I tried to start my credit when I was 18 but no one ever gave me credit so I waited the 2 years till all my inquires droped (18 inquires at the time, I know I didnt know what I was doing then) and now am starting all over again. This is what I have so far, let me know if this is good or if I should get something else.

Equifax
    FLEET CC (Fusion) 8.99APR $500CL
    FLEET NATIONAL BANK (Secured Loan) $500 12 months term
    WFNNB STRUCTURE 21.9APR $150CL
    Inquiries (Prev 6 Months): 1 (EMPL)

Experian
    Inquiries (Prev 6 Months): 7 (3 should drop soon)

TU
    Inquiries (Prev 6 Months): 0

I also just got approved for MBNA WorldPoints with a $500CL at 12.99APR 1.7 on BT.
    Also I didnt know the loan was gonna show up as secured on my report would this be bad?
    All these TL have been opened on 6/03, I am planning on only using 30% of my CL on each card and pay my balance in full every month. Please let me know what you guys think.

The APR on my Fusion card is an intro rate till 12/03 then it goes up to 15.99%.

2. HJ83

HJ83 Member

<BUMB>

3. amish

amish Well-Known Member

Do you have student loans?

4. HJ83

HJ83 Member

No, I pay for my college cash every semester.

5. Geo

Geo Well-Known Member

Apply for Amex for students and Citibank to get higher limits. Don´t apply for more retail cards or with subprime banks.

6. HJ83

HJ83 Member

The thing with AMEX Blue is that I go to a 2 year college and I don't think they will aprove me. Do you think they will check if I tell them I go to one of the 4 year colleges here?

Also which of my banks are considered subprime?
    And my WFNNB just got inc to $500 so I think that will help.

Citi denied me because I had no balance on any of my accounts. I guess they don't like people that pay their invoice in full.

This is my report so far...

Equifax
    MBNA AMERICA (WorldPoints) 11.99APR $500
    Inquiries (Prev 6 Months): 1 (EMPL)

Experian
    MBNA AMERICA (WorldPoints) 11.99APR $500
    WFNNB STRUCTURE 21.9APR $500
    Inquiries (Prev 6 Months): 6 (2 should drop soon)

TU
    Inquiries (Prev 6 Months): 1

Still all have $0 balance.

7. amish

amish Well-Known Member

You might consider an unsecured loan to pay for one semester of college. That will at least improve your "mix" (FWIW). I don't know how expensive your school is but if you have the $$$ to pay in advance you could always try for a loan with your bank/c.u. and keep the cash you would have paid with in a savings account and have the loan automatically draw from that account every month. I'm not sure if that's any better than a "secured" loan though.