How to get bad check removed?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Gai-jin, Aug 29, 2003.

1. Gai-jin

Gai-jin Well-Known Member

I have a check for roughly $7 which bounced about a year ago. This check was sent to a CA, who is reporting $27 owed (including return check fee) on my credit report. I have called the CA (Small town 1 or 2 person operation, from the sound of it) and offered to pay the debt in exchange for complete deletion. The CA refuses to delete the item. How might I best go about getting this removed?

I would assume they still have the bad check as proof of debt...

Gai-jin

2. Flyingifr

Flyingifr Well-Known Member

Talk about pettiness. At a 40% commision rate the CA is making at best 11 bucks on your account.

I would go back to the OC and talk with them.

3. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

NO DELETE NO PAY

NO "ORIGINAL" CHECK NO PAY

4. Gai-jin

Gai-jin Well-Known Member

Perhaps this is a silly question, but how would I go about verifying that this collection agency has the original check, rather than just a copy of it?

Should I start with a standard validation letter to the CA?

And for writing to the OC, who via telephone refused to do more than refer me to the CA, what should I be sending?

(Funny, the OC is what was once a major grocery chain, now selling off the last of their stores in the process of bankruptcy. You'd think they'd be willing to do whatever it takes to get every last dime they can.)

Gai-jin

5. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

1*Perhaps this is a silly question, but how would I go about verifying that this collection agency has the original check, rather than just a copy of it?
    2*Should I start with a standard validation letter to the CA?
    3*And for writing to the OC, who via telephone refused to do more than refer me to the CA, what should I be sending?
    4*( You'd think the OC would be willing to do whatever it takes to get every last dime they can.)
    Gai-jin
    ===============
    1*Don't pay unless they show you the original check. I have seen them try to collect using forged copies.
    2*YES
    3*Nothing .
    4*They probably have by selling this debt to the CA .