WorthKnowing.com -- Is it good?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by gagliano3, Aug 31, 2003.

1. gagliano3

gagliano3 Well-Known Member

Hi,

Stumpled upon www.worthknowing.com and the site says it's free every 90 days, if I wanted more than 1 ever 90 days, they simply charge $5.00

I wondering if anyone has used this service from WorthKnowing.com? anything good or bad?

TIA!
    Thomas Gagliano

2. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

JUST ABOUT EVERYBODY HERE HAS USED IT...

3. gagliano3

Re: Re: WorthKnowing.com -- Is it good?

Ok, what are good about WorthKnowing.com? what are bad?

Thanks!
    Thomas Gagliano

4. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Re: WorthKnowing.com -- Is it good?

GOOD---IT'S FREE

BAD---IT'S OUT-DATED
    BAD---NOT ACCURATE
    BAD---OPEN ACCOUNTS SHOWING AS CLOSED
    BAD---CLOSED ACCOUNTS SHOWING AS OPEN

BUT IT IS FREE!!!!!

5. gagliano3

Re: Re: Re: Re: WorthKnowing.com -- Is it good?

Can I use that site to dispute? My wife and I filed for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy. It was discharged last month. Once we get it... we want to make sure everything's accrated!

Thanks!
    Thomas Gagliano

6. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: WorthKnowing.com -- Is it good?

NO DISPUTES

7. gagliano3

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: WorthKnowing.com -- Is it good?

So I can use WorthKnowing.com's credit report, then mail to 3 credit agencies to dispute?

Thanks!
    Thomas Gagliano

8. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: WorthKnowing.com -- Is it good?

NO

You can use www.transunion.com

BUT ONLY FOR DISPUTES INVOLVING TRANS UNION "STUFF"

"IF" you have EQUIFAX and EXPERIAN problems...contact them directly...TRANS UNION can't help you!!!

9. jlynn

jlynn Well-Known Member

FYI - you can go to transunion.com, tell them you were denied credit in the last 60 days by someone that has pulled your report (as listed at WK), and get a free report from which you can dispute.

Some here have sworn they were denied credit by Donald Duck :)

10. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Just DISPUTE one item on the WK report on www.transunion.com and you will get a COMPLETE new paper report for FREE when they are done investigating!!!

YMMV

I did something that is not a "BIG DEAL"...I disputed an account that was showing like $2,000 as "BALANCE WRONG--->$0"

They would not do a FULL BLOWN INVESTIGATION ABOUT A BALANCE!!!

11. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

http://www.transunion.com/content/p...olutions/general/data/DisputeCreditReport.xml

Once you submit your dispute...

TransUnion will contact the party that provided the
    information (lender or public record source) and request it to
    verify the accuracy of the information.
    The party will then inform TransUnion of any changes that
    should be made to the information.
    TransUnion will mail you an updated copy of your credit
    report, reflecting the results of the investigation. We will send
    this to you via U.S. mail within 30 days of receiving your initial
    request. Mail delivery typically takes 3-5 business days.
    If you are not satisfied with the resolution of the investigation,
    you may add a consumer statement to your TransUnion credit
    report. This is a section of your file where you can provide
    additional explanation. If you would like, we can even help
    you write this statement.

12. PsychDoc

PsychDoc Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, my WorthKnowing credit report always reflected my Trans Union report accurately.

Even better, the WorthKnowing report actually gives you the dates of any late payment notations, which your regular Trans Union report does not.

For that reason, the WorthKnowing report does fill a need. That said, I wonder why Trans Union does NOT supply the actual dates in their consumer reports, an omission that would seem to violate the FCRA since they do in fact provide that consumer data to subscribing creditors.

Big negative, though: The WorthKnowing scores are really worthless, imho. They compute the scores using a [worthless] proprietary algorithm and then plot them on a bell curve from 1 to 100. Here's a quote from WorthKnowing executives regarding this (clearly they have a different opinion on the matter):

On Oct. 24, 2000 WorthKnowing.com, a then 15-month-old Atlanta-based startup launched its online credit marketplace, offering consumers a free credit report from Trans Union, plus a WorthKnowing credit score along with personalized recommendations for improving their credit profile. The site's revenue comes from advertising and lender commissions. Consumers who obtain their report and scores and are shopping for credit can opt to receive offers from participating card issuers based on their scores. Home mortgage and auto financing options will be available soon.

But the scores the website provides bear no resemblance to the FICO scores used by the majority of lenders. While the classic FICOscores range from 300 to 850, Worthknowing scores range from 0 to 100, and are designed to tell consumers how they rank compared to the credit population as a whole. "It's a true bell curve," says James A. Eckstein, founder and chief executive. "It's a percentile ranking," adds Lisa J. Volmar, vice president of operations. "A score of 50 is average, not failing."

Worthknowing's patent-pending scoring model was developed by industry veteran K.K Srinivasan and a team of assistants with years of experience developing generic scoring models. "We believe ours is different but better," Eckstein says. "We don't have to match up to FICO scores to show consumers their creditworthiness."

(source: LINK)

Finally, anecdotal evidence suggests that WK is also useful for bumpage (refer to Creditnet Search for details).

That's why I don't think the answer to "Is WorthKnowing any good?" is so simple. It's definitely got some good points (especially that bit about late dates that you can't easily get elsewhere; it's free; plus bumpage), and it's got some bad points (such as worthless scores).

Hope this helps!

Doc

13. jlynn

jlynn Well-Known Member

Same for me as far as accuracy - however it should be noted as well, that if you are current it will be in the "satisfactory" section...don't misunderstand that to mean its a positive tradeline - if there is derogatory information its still a negative.

Doc, everyone's good friend Greg Fisher has been fighting with TU about the late notations. I haven't looked lately to see how it is going.

14. rhondak

rhondak Well-Known Member

Never heard of this site until this post. Went and got free credit report. So, I assume it's only pulling from TU?

Guess I need to check my TU report again, because this one is showing better than my last TU report.

Maybe they deleted more? (fingers crossed)

15. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

Can I use that site to dispute?
    gagliano3
    ===============
    [color=dark blue] NO YOU HAVE TO DISPUTE WITH THE BIG THREE.[/color]

THE END ** *** ** LB 59
    """"```--~~~~~~~~~--```'""'''