Removing old address

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by fxs158, Sep 2, 2003.

1. fxs158

fxs158 Well-Known Member

Here is the deal, I recently moved, there are about two to three adresses on my report. Should I try to remove them one at a a time or should I simply send a letter asking to remove the old 2 adresses telling htem they are not mine?

2. SoParkDiva

SoParkDiva Well-Known Member

Just call them up and ask them to remove the old addresses. Equifax will delete while you are still on the phone. Simple as that.

3. gmaof1

gmaof1 Well-Known Member

I had experian delete while I was on the phone. Call 1-800-583-4080

4. rhondak

rhondak Well-Known Member

You're kidding me!

WTF! I tried to get them (experian) to delete about 20 old and incorrect addresses and they sent me a letter saying to send them copies of drivers license, proof of residence, etc.

But you can call on the phone and have them deleted?!?!?!

5. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

YMMV

6. SoParkDiva

Nobody is going to sit on the phone and delete "about 20 items". If I were you I would call and ask for a few addresses deleted at a time.

7. Gai-jin

Gai-jin Well-Known Member

Will CRA's remove old addresses just because it's old? Or do you have to say you never lived there?

gai-jin

8. SoParkDiva

Re: Re: Removing old address

Just ask them to remove the old addresses. They won't ask for a reason. They will ask what your current address is. Be aware that if a creditor updates your report with that old address it will pop back on your report.

9. rhondak

<<<Nobody is going to sit on the phone and delete "about 20 items". If I were you I would call and ask for a few addresses deleted at a time.>>>

They had a list that literally took me 2 1/2 pages to print out of addresses. I would think it would look more suspicious to remove a couple at a time than telling them they obviously have my account merged with someone else's to have that many addresses listed and ask that they all be removed except 3 (and those 3 cover the last 5 years)

They also had the birthdate wrong, amoung other things. I printed out the whole "personal information" section and made all the corrections and sent it in with a letter.

My fiance has a very common name (first and last). Not quite "John Smith" but pretty damn close.

Of course, it's Experian (who else) The other two only have 2-3 addresses and 2-3 employers.

10. motiv8ed

motiv8ed Active Member

I just got off the phone with all 3 CRA and they deleted all the addresses I asked them to without a problem. Only setback was that EX kept 1 of the addresses I asked her to delete. She stated that that was the address that my student loan was reporting. Otherwise she sat there and deleted about 21 old and incorrect addresses. And my name variations! Whoo hoo! One small victory in the war!

11. SoParkDiva

Re: Re: Removing old address

Congrats! She must have been really patient or her work load was small. :) Yes, she was correct in keeping that 1 address. As I mentioned above, any address that a current creditor reports will be placed back on your report since the CRA's figure that's your most recent address.

12. rhondak

motiv8ed - Guess I'm going to have to have my fiance try to call. Obviously, I can't call on his report.

That's encouraging to hear, though. Once again, it must just depend on the person you get on the phone rather than there being an actual policy.

Name variations was another thing I was trying to get off.

13. gmaof1

gmaof1 Well-Known Member

I had 16 old addresses dating back at least 20 years. The first time I called, the man told me that all addresses remain on your credit report for life. The one thing I learned here was to not give up! I called back 10 minutes later and got someone else on the phone. I told them that there were incorrect addresses on my report and he was happy to help me. I gave him 7 that night, and they were gone by morning. About 5 days later, I called back and did the same thing. I got rid of 8 that time. My report now only reflects 3 addresses. The great thing about that is that none of those 3 are addresses for ANYTHING negative on my report!

14. rhondak

Sounds like we have the same issue here. Amazing that you get two TOTALLY different responses depending on who you talk to!

Again, no policy, reporting arbitrarily.

Irritating.

15. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

You're kidding me!
    But you can call on the phone and have them deleted?!?!?!
    rhonda
    ==============
    No kiddin
    yep