Do you hire an Atty. to go to court

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Gai-jin, Sep 5, 2003.

1. Gai-jin

Gai-jin Well-Known Member

I see a lot of people here discussing their lawsuits against CA/CRA's. I'm curious, do most people hire an attorney to file the suit, or handle it themselves? I would be scared to do it myself, as I know very little about that type of situation.

Gai-jin

2. jlynn

jlynn Well-Known Member

I would say most of the small claims suits Cneters are doing themselves. Once they get bumped up to federal, then you here about more attorneys.

I would say, probably a majority of these lawsuits are settled before court.

3. Gai-jin

So, are FDCPA and FCRA violations taken to small claims then? I had thought small claims was only for ~$500 claims?

Gai-jin

4. jlynn

jlynn Well-Known Member

Depends on your state's max for small claims.

In TX it is $5000.

5. lsmith15

lsmith15 Well-Known Member

Max in Ohio is 3,000 and it has to be actual damages no statutory damages so any suits that I file will be in Federal Court. I am envovled in one that I am doing in Federal Court proceeding "Pro Se" because I filed on TU in small claims court and they moved it to Federal Court so I am learning as I go I am in sales and deal with people everyday so I am not as scared about standing in front of people and pleeding a case.....

6. Gai-jin

Anybody know what the limit in IL is, or where I could find it?

7. jlynn

jlynn Well-Known Member

8. WranglerTJ

WranglerTJ Well-Known Member

Yeah jlynn is right...I'm from IL also and have been to small claims quite a bit...$5000 max.