Nasty RMA

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by MaggieQ, Sep 6, 2003.

1. MaggieQ

MaggieQ Member

I received a phone call yesterday that has bothered me since. Here is the background. I have 2 Amex Charge offs that I have been paying since last year. I have paid off almost 70% of the debt in that time. My goal is to get the trades removed after I finish making payment. One account is for the Green Card connected to sign and travel. I am now paying off the S&T portion of the debt, as the green has been paid in full. The other is Optima. I have two separate contacts at RMA, where I am making these payments.

According to RMA--I am in a program. I never signed up for this program, but regardless, I am in a program. In order to be in this "program" RMA needs me to send them post dated checks. I have been doing this since last year, and so far, every month on the designated date--the check goes through. And a few weeks later, my credit report reflects this amount as paid. The trouble is, last week, one of the contacts from RMA called me and asked me to send more checks for the optima account. The next payment due on the account is due on Sept 25th, so I did not see a need to get them out over night. In truth, I wrote out the checks and planned on mailing them in the next few days.

So, yesterday, the phone rang and it was my other "contact" from RMA. This woman has always been extremely nasty to me, while the other contact has always been extremely nice. When I told her the checks were ready to be mailed out, she asked my, "Why is it when Mr. XXX asks you to do something, you never follow through?" I was shocked because I always comply with what ever has been asked of me to rectify these accounts and Mr. XXX has acknowledged this whenever we speak. I asked her what she was talking about, and instead answering, she went on to tell me that I lived in a wage garnishable state and she had the right to call me everyday if she wished to in order to get payment. I told her that die to the fact I had complied to the program and could prove that I had been making monthly payments consistently, she would have a hard time getting a judge to garnish my wages. The account isn't even considered past due any longer according to the American Express legal dept. She then started criticizing the monthly payment I was making, because 2 months before I had told her I would have to pay 65.00 instead of the 75.00 I had been sending. I told her that she had agreed to this amount 2 months before. Everything out of her mouth contridictary and accusatory. She also made a statement that, I had been paying down the account--so what did I care? HUH????It ended by her saying she was going to talk to my husband from now on, as he was the primary account holder and then she hung up on me. This from a woman who has been getting monthly payments from me since last year. The call was just so inappropriate, I questioned her mental stability. I realized after the phone call that I have a 2 way recorder on my phone and taping of phone calls is allowable in this state. I wish I had taped her. Does anyone think this woman commited any violations?

2. jlynn

jlynn Well-Known Member

She can't call you everyday if you tell her not to!

Have they been sending you the written notice that they are about to deposit your post-dated check each and every time?

3. MaggieQ

MaggieQ Member

<Have they been sending you the written notice that they are about to deposit your post-dated check each and every time?>

Yeah, they do. They have been pretty decent about everything, with the exception of this one particular women who I think went into the collection business because she likes to be able to call people up and be abusive.

I had originally asked that they not call my husband at work. This was before she was ever assigned my account. She is very smug and took great pleasure in advising me she had located my husbands new employer. She claims she did call him at work, although my husband has no recollection of it. She is just weird, in a freaky sort of way. The odd thing is--I have always paid as agreed--the debt is nearly paid in full and I have been consistent about it for the last year. She obviously takes pleasure in berating people. I wonder how she would treat me if I had not been paying.....

4. dman4384

dman4384 Active Member

You are letting her dictate the rules by which you play.

There is no need to do this.

When someone on the phone (not just collections), start getting nasty, tell them to be polite (or whatever you wish), or the conversation is over....If they continue hang up.

Eventually they'll figure out what they need to do in order to converse.

For whatever reason, people are conditioned to not hangup and continually defend themselves against such attacks. Once you realize that you hold the power, then you have the power.

5. MaggieQ

MaggieQ Member

6. crowmom

crowmom Well-Known Member

>>The call was just so inappropriate, I questioned her mental stability....she likes to be able to call people up and be abusive.

Ya know, i often wonder about the type of person who would choose to work in collections. Do they pay well or something? I firmly believe that those people have to be a little 'off' or something.

>>She is very smug and took great pleasure in advising me she had located my husbands new employer. She claims she did call him at work... She is just weird, in a freaky sort of way.

Not much difference between her and a stalker, huh?

>>She obviously takes pleasure in berating people.

Get her supervisor on the phone and ask for the account to be assigned to a different worker. I would not put up with her crap any longer. If it was me, I'd make sure to tell her how i felt first. I'd simply ask her if she needs to berate people in order to feel better about herself. thats just me tho, lol.