Opinions on ATT Universal Card?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Gai-jin, Sep 6, 2003.

1. Gai-jin

Gai-jin Well-Known Member

I received an unsolicited offer from AT&T in the mail today, and wanted to ask for opinions. Has anyone had good/bad experience with this card? I only have 1 card right now, a Household bank mastercard. I have only a $300 limit, and have had the card for about 3 months. It's pretty expensive, at a $99 annual fee, and other large fees anytime they think they can ding you.

The At&t offer is for a platinum card, but I doubt I would qualify for that. I have just over 1 month in at my new job. My score according to TU's 'score and report' service is 690,

My fico puts my Experian at 598. My fico puts my eq score at 642.

Do I have a chance at getting the card, is it even worth applying for? And is AT&T universal card a decent company to deal with?

Gai-jin

2. greyfox

greyfox Well-Known Member

I got my ATT card thru a pre-approved offer a couple of years ago. I don't remember my score, but it was probably in the mid 600s.

I got the platinum as offered, but the CL was pretty low, I think around $3800.00 and it has taken forever to get the CL up to $6800.00 but I have had very good BT offers, and was able to get the purchase rate down from 12.99 to 8.49. It is a CITI product, but so far I have not received the notice jacking my rate up like CITI has.

If you can stand the hard inquiry, I would go for it if you realize the CL may be low. That is if you don't have any derogs on your record. My son was unable to get the pre-approved card because of a single derog.

3. PawMix

PawMix Well-Known Member

We have the AT&T card. It is through Citi, and since we got the card ( a couple of years ago ) we have been enjoying credit line increases and recently they lowered our APR due to improvements on DH's credit report.

Never had a problem with them, Citibank security department seems to be top notch and customer service is excellent.

PawMix

4. Gai-jin

I do have derog's on my report. Again, only card I have now has a $300 limit (which is too small for my daily use, I pay it off twice amonth!) Almost anything would be an improvement. I'll try and apply then.

Also, this that they sent me doesn't say pre-approved, nor does it include an 'application'. The form it came with is an "invitation". Does that make a difference?

Gai-jin

5. RichGuy

RichGuy Well-Known Member

It does make a difference. An invitation is just an application sent by them.

Even with a few derogs, I think you have a chance to get a card with a small limit. I think it's important to apply, because you really need to replace that Household card.

I'm not talking about closing Household right away, but you will want to close it in a couple of years to get rid of those outrageous fees. When you do, you need to have another card almost as old, or closing it will hurt your credit scores.

If you can get some good credit cards, cards you won't want to get rid of later, then you can start building your credit for good. I think no annual fee and a reasonable APR are important, but a low credit limit really doesn't matter for now.

6. Gai-jin

Am I better off to call the number listed to apply, or to fill out the 'invitation' and mail it in?

Gai-jin

7. Calypso

Calypso Well-Known Member

Only good things.

More generous than (reg)Citi with credit limits.

Lots of good BT offers too.

8. RichGuy

RichGuy Well-Known Member

I think you're better off mailing in the "invitation" for this reason: if there's anything you need to think about beforehand (job, income, residence, etc.) you won't have much time to answer over the phone.

9. Gai-jin

I've just started a new job within the last month. Is that terribly damaging to a credit app/score?

10. georgiaboy

georgiaboy Well-Known Member

If you wanted to try a different card, try HHB Corvette MasterCard, there has been quite a few folks over at creditboards recieve it as of late, and some have had derogs on there CR. Credit limits have been from $600 to $6000+

no annual fees and unsecured,, also online application

https://www.corvettemastercard.com/cccv/CustomerCare?cmd_Redirect=HomePage

.... its just an idea

11. StarStuff

StarStuff Well-Known Member

I answered an ATT Universal pre-approved invitation in April 2002 because of a no-fee balance transfer offer with a 0% interest rate for one year and 8.99% rate after that. It was and remains a modest account, only a $1500 credit limit, and I just did a BT and left the account alone until just recently.

Anyway, about two weeks ago I got a notice that they were raising my interest rate to 11.99% and I called Customer Service about it. They told me it was a "business decision" and increases were being done on all accounts, not just mine.

Anyway, I refused to accept the increase and the rep told me that my rate would remain the same and I could continue to use the card until its expiration, which won't be until next April, at which point the account will close and I can continue to pay off any balance under the same terms. Then he told me I'd probably get a letter from ATT a month or so before they close my account, offering me a deal to try to keep me from closing the account. So I'm waiting to see what they offer.

They were at least up front about the increase and were very pleasant on the phone. I've never had any problems with ATT or with Citi. I haven't yet received any increase notice from Citi, not that it will help them much because they're locked into a 3.9% rate for the life of a $4100 BT they gave me several months ago, and that's pretty much my Citi balance.

Chase is another matter, however, but I'll address that in a new thread because I really want some advice on that problem.

12. Slavic

Slavic Well-Known Member

Same thing happened to a family member. Low balance transfer offers are a plus, though.

13. StarStuff

StarStuff Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure most if not all the cards will be doing something similar in the near future. With the economy in its present state, lots of people defaulting and/or BKing and the prime rate so low, they're going to have to pull some kind of trick out of their hats to keep the stockholders happy and the top execs in their Armani suits and private jets.

Not on MY nickel, however! They can cut their cards in five pointy pieces and tuck them in their tushies.