utility comp. pull credit w/o permi

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by wandac, Sep 8, 2003.

1. wandac

wandac Well-Known Member

my dh had gas service turned on in our new home. well not to long after that, we received a bill from them for a sec. deposit due to poor credit score. well i'm sure you can understand our shock since he was never informed they would be pulling his credit. which means he also never gave them permission. after speaking to the gas company and equifax (the company they use) we were informed that they do not have to ask our permission or tell us they are pulling his credit. (i should probly mention this is a hard inquiry-not a soft they pulled) i do not think this is correct and that they must have violated something by not informing us they were going to pull his report or by not asking for his permission. any help on this would be appreciated. thanks

2. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

I don't move much any more...BUT I always used a REFERAL LETTER or I tell the utility I will give them a deposit (before they ask)!!!

SO NOW YOU NOT ONLY HAVE A "HARD" BUT YOU GET A DEPOSIT REQUIRED...HOW NICE!!!

They can "PULL IT BACK"...have it removed...if they want

I would give them DOUBLE what they want for a deposit "IF" they have it removed...

3. wandac

wandac Well-Known Member

but can they pull dh credit report without telling us they are going to?

4. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

(TRUTH IN ADVERTISING) wise...NO

BUT they do want to confirm that they will get paid...because they provide a product that CAN NOT BE REPOSSESSED...

5. wandac

wandac Well-Known Member

i tried finding where it says a company could not pull credit without permission, but i couldn't. do you know where i could find where it states this. maybe if dh calls the utility company with it, then they will remove inquiry. thanks

6. SoParkDiva

SoParkDiva Well-Known Member

I think what "ALL CAPS GEORGE" is trying to say is if you enter into a contract with a company then they can pull your credit. It's usually in the fine print of the contract you signed. They just didn't point it out to you. If you were just inquiring about their services and they pulled then you have them by the short hairs. It seems that all utilities pull your credit when you sign up. I think it's a scam.

• Pursuant to the FCRA, consumer reports may be furnished by a consumer-reporting agency under the following circumstances:

[*]A legitimate need for the information in connection with a business transaction that is initiated by the consumer
      [*]A legitimate business need for the information to review an account to determine whether the consumer continues to meet the terms of the account

7. wandac

wandac Well-Known Member

he never signed anything. he called them on the phone to have service set up. this is something they must have just started. dh had service last year, and they didn't do any of this. his credit was horrible last year. i repaired it (thanks to this site) and his score is in the upper 600's now. with 1 late pay from 3 years ago. so how can they say he needs a sec. deposit.

8. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Re: Re: utility comp. pull credit w/o permi

EVERYBODY PULLS FOR EVERYTHING NOWDAYS...

CHECKING
    SAVINGS
    CAR INSURANCE
    HOME INSURANCE
    UTILITIES

My wife even had US BANK pull 2 "HARDS" for a BT that was UNDER the credit limit!!!

THEY ARE GOING TO CHECK INTO IT...SURE THEY ARE!!!

9. SoParkDiva

SoParkDiva Well-Known Member

Re: Re: utility comp. pull credit w/o permi

Sorry, I edited my post above and I did not see your subsequent post. Even if your hubby entered into a service contract over the phone he is still bound by the provisions of their contract. The bottom line is the company has to make sure they will get their money.