Staring In The Devil's Eyes

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by broncsboi, Sep 8, 2003.

1. broncsboi

broncsboi Well-Known Member

Iâ??m looking for some answers and/or suggestions on where to begin on this long and scarry road for my sister. We are living in Arizona. She moved here from Colorado a couple months back. Her credit report is in disarray to say the least. Her credit score is 443. She moved in with me so she can get back on her feet and in hopes that I can help her gain some financial knowledge. She is only staying with us until February 2004. So she only has a few months to start getting it all together.

She has a good job as a C.N.A right now and has been doing that for a couple years. She takes home around $600-$700 every two weeks.

This is the just of her credit report:

REVOLVING ACCOUNTS
    FST Premier Balance $462
    Past Due: $462
    Condition: Derogatory
    Remarks: Charged off as bad debt â?? Profit and Loss Write off

FNBMARIN Balance: $737
    Past Due: $0
    Remarks: Charged off as bad debt â?? Profit and Loss Write off

FNBMARIN Balance: $0
    Condition: Closed (Paid)
    Remarks: Payment after charge off/collection â?? Settled â?? less than full balance

INSTALLMENT ACCOUNTS

FSB FINL Balance: $5306 (Auto Loan)
    Past Due: $750

FSB FINL Balance: $1198 (Auto Loan)

WESTERN FUND Balance: $0
    Condition: Closed

COLLECTION ACCOUNTS

There are TWENTY-ONE (21) accounts listed here. All are listed in â??Collectionâ?? and all but one are listed as â??Open.â??

The â??Date Reportedâ? are from 2003, 2002, 1999 and one in Dec. 1997.

PUBLIC RECORD INFORMATION
    Judgment filed 1/1/2003 - $539.00
    Judgment filed 12/1/96 - $326.00

WHERE IN THE HELL DO WE START?

She doesnâ??t have much cash right now to start paying or attempting to pay anything. So thatâ??s another quandry.

Should we (she) start with the smaller accounts to contact and pay them off?
    Should we send out validation letters to all of the Collection Agencies?
    Should we send out validation letter to all the Credit Bureaus?
    Should we pay off the judgments first and foremost?
    Should we wait until she has some cash to pay before we even think about tyring to start something?

I know she has a horrible track record and a rough road ahead so please, no derogatory comment, only true help or suggestions needed right now. Weâ??ll laugh about this laterâ?¦much later.

My Main concern at this point is that her and her 20 year old son have to be out of our house in Feburary. So the biggest concern at this point is making sure she can get into an Apartment then even though she has an apartment listed in collections:

SPRINGMAN BR â??
    Original Creditor: 09 Camelot Club Apartments
    Type: Collection
    Date Reported: 6/1/2003
    Balance: $1151.00
    Remarks: Placed for collection

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE HELP!!!!!!

2. jlynn

jlynn Well-Known Member

Are all of these within SOL?

Apartment - no experience. Have you called around to some apartments, explained the situation and see what their minimum requirements are?

That is going to be the first one to tackle.

3. broncsboi

Regarding the SOL. Please explain.

Should we see when the Statue of Limitations expires to ? Collect? File? List? And since they were filed in Colorado I'm assuming its the SOL of Colorado not Arizona where she lives now right?

How would I find out the SOL? Where to check?

4. broncsboi

Colorado Statutes of Limitation

Domestic and foreign judgments: 6 years and renewable each six years. Note: If for child support, maintenance or arrears the judgment (lien) stays in effect for the life the judgment without the necessity of renewal every six years.

All contract actions, including personal contracts and actions under the UCC: 3 years (C.R.S. 13-80-101), except as otherwise provided in 13-80-103.5; All claims under the Uniform Consumer Credit Code, except sections 5-5-201(5); All actions to recover, detain or convert goods or chattels, except as otherwise provided in section 13 -80-103.5.

Liquidated debt and unliquidated determinable amount of money due; Enforcement of instrument securing the payment of or evidencing any debt; Action to recover the possession of secured personal property; Arrears of rent: 6 years, (C.R.S. 13-80-103.5)

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?