Remove 'not mine' if positive?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Gai-jin, Sep 12, 2003.

1. Gai-jin

Gai-jin Well-Known Member

I have a friend who shares first & last name with his father. Several items show on his report which are in his fathers name. If these items are positive, is he better off to remove them or keep them?

Also, some of these accounts were opened 10 years before this person was born.

In theory, that's possible if he was added as joint or a/u to an existing account, right? In this case however, he's had nothing to do with the account.

Gai-jin

2. Butch

Butch Well-Known Member

Great question.

It's difficult to open an account 10 years BEFORE you're born.

I CAN PROVE IT.

LOL

3. Gai-jin

Sure, but IF the account had been opened by his dad, and then the son was added to the acct as joint or a/u on his 18th bday, wouldn't reporting on the son's report go all the way back to the date the account was opened?

Gai-jin

4. DanS

DanS Well-Known Member

Sounds like a Good Thing for the kid, possible problem for the parent but easily fixed if that's the case.

5. Slavic

Slavic Well-Known Member

Yes it would, but it would show as an AU account. This information may not be available through some services, but when you get a report directly from Equifax it lists "Whose Account" as:

J Joint
    I Individual
    U Undesignated
    A Authorized user
    T Terminated
    M Maker
    C Co-maker/co-signer
    B On behalf of another person
    S shared

Could someone clarify if this info is only visible to the user or do the companies that pull your credit get that info? I was under the impression that a lender can't tell if you're only an AU hence a few AU cards would mean instant credit.

I wouldn't remove them unless they are heavily over utilized. (maxed out)

6. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

POSITIVE LEAVE IT...as long as they are not MAXED very often...

7. rbay

rbay Well-Known Member

Well I am a Jr. and i have several acounts listed on my credit report as Individual (I) For example Brooks Brothers shows on all 3 bureaus as solely mine account opened 5-74 . I was born 1/67 . Nice having credit when you are 7 yrs old. Even funnier I tried to dispute it with EXP and it cam back verified?? Gotta love those credit bureaus!!!

8. chipper

chipper Well-Known Member

My Dad and I have the same name, and because of a Chevron account of his, my credit history begins in 1969, although I was born 1975. My Dad has a 799 FICO with not a single late payment, so in my case, I just leave them on there.

9. Gai-jin

In the case I'm asking about, the son has 30ish of his dad's items on his report, including mortgages etc. No negatives, except for those actually belonging to the son. None of the cards are maxed, maybe 20% utilization at most. However, would that 20% utilization hurt him if he's trying to get his own mortgage? He's concerned that a lender will see that he has all these bills, and on his income can't afford another...

Gai-jin