Settlement offer was refused...

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by marabout, Apr 29, 2004.

1. marabout

marabout Member

I have two minor past medical bills for like $300. I sent the letter recommended here saying that I am not admitting it is my debt but that I will pay $xxx if they will remove the notices from my credit report.

They just called me and told me that they will accept my offer to pay the amount I said (which was without interest), but that they "can't" remove it from my credit report. All they can do is mark it as a paid account. They won't mark it as settled (which he said would be worse) but will mark it as paid in full.

Should I just accept it? How negative will this look on my credit report? It is on TU and Equifax in the collections area and now say "unpaid". Is it going to do me any good at all if they stay there but say "paid"?

Any ideas on getting them to remove it completely?

2. ontrack

ontrack Well-Known Member

Why were they not paid originally?
    Did the hospital/doctor fail to bill you, or fail to bill the insurance company in a timely fashion, etc.?

3. marabout

marabout Member

To be honest, I didn't pay them because I thought the charges were ridiculous. I took my daughter to the emergency room to get stiches on her chin but they said it was too late and all they did was bring another butterfly band-aid like the one I had already put on her, and have me put it on her again. Then they sent me a bill for $282 and I was kind of broke that month and just said "screw 'em".

Yeah, I know. The one I screwed was myself, ha! 'Cause that thing went to collections in a flash (the hospital obviously has a permanent hookup with these folks). Oh well...i was just hoping they'd be cool and take cash for removing it from my credit report.

4. Butch

Butch Well-Known Member

Mara,

Have you tried working with the hospital?

???

5. SPANKY23

SPANKY23 Active Member

A paid in full collection account is just as bad as an unpaid collection account. It is still a collection account on your report. It's not that they can't delete the account if you settle, sounds like they just don't want to.

I agree with Butch. Try working with the hospital. See if you could settle with them and have them recall the account from the Collection Agency if they can or have them get the collection agency to remove the account after being paid. Make sure you get everything in writing before paying a cent.

6. monanell

monanell Active Member

Why don't you use the HIPPA law? Check out WHY Chats place. It will explain how to do it.

monanell

7. marabout

marabout Member

Thanks. I can't seem to find the info over there and the search function here keeps timing out with no results. Can anyone explain the HIPPA strategy? I gather from google that it has something to do with the hospital releasing too much info to a third party and if they have you can raise a stink and get the debt removed. Correct?

Any sample letters around?

thanks!

8. goldhummin

goldhummin Well-Known Member

I believe you checked the wrong web site, friend.

Try this web site for WhyChat: http://whychat.5u.com/

Click on the link that says: SPECIAL LETTER TO HEALTH CARE PROVIDER (HIPAA)

I'm sure it will help.

9. marabout

marabout Member

Ah, yes, i was on the wrong site. Thanks for the link. I'll give that a try!

Think I can try this even if the one receiving the care was my 5 year old daughter?

10. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

1*The link is also in the red newbee links below.
    2*Don't see why not.!