CA purged account problem

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by credit6949, Jul 14, 2004.

1. credit6949

credit6949 Well-Known Member

I have an entry on my EX and EXP from National Recovery in PA. It is dated 4/99 and from a beeper service that went bankrupt and charged me a cancellation fee for their service.

I spoke with National Recovery and asked for a copy of the contract or any other proof that I owe the money. They said I was notified back in 1999 and the letter and contract is now purged from their files.

I asked how do I know the charge is legitimate if they cannot provide a copy of the contract. They said it is my responsibility to prove there is no balance.

I was, however, referred to the company (Network Services) that took over the bankrupt company assets. Should I contact them and ask for a copy of the contract I signed? If not, what should be my next step?

Thanks.

2. credit6949

CA purged account problem - update

I decided to take the initiative by calling Network Services to ask for a copy of the contract.

After a polite conversation with a rep in Customer Service, she admitted they have no record from 1999 and would instruct the CA to delete the entry from my credit report then she would fax me a letter confirming our conversation.

Yabba dabba do!

3. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

In the future, never call them. You want everything in writing, because that's how you document violations. You should send them a letter requesting validation, and requesting that all future communications be in writing. Send it certified mail, return receipt requested.

When you call, they will later claim that you admitted to things that you didn't.

4. credit6949

Thanks for the suggestion. I will keep it in mind for the future.

I figured in this case a call might be worth it because the CA admitted to not having a copy of the contract. They hinted that the company taking over the assets of the bankrupt entity didn't have a copy either so I tried to cut corners.

5. jam237

jam237 Well-Known Member

Keep Network Services address handy, you will need it.

The only way I was able to get a Gold's membership off that their company had listed (when the Gold's never provided the membership card so I could use their services) was to be assertive with the new owners of that franchise, and file complaint after complaint with the home office of Gold's.

Despite Gold's repeatedly telling them that the account was to be deleted, they refused to, and tried to say that the same owner who called them to tell them to delete it, told them to not delete it.

Finally, I had to have EX dispute it through the OC directly, and that was the only way that I was able to get it removed.