debt cancelled

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by buttons, Mar 16, 2006.

1. buttons

buttons Member

my debt was canceled by the company. IN April of last year. then a couple of weeks ago I GOT SUED by the company lawyers in my home state and got a letter from the company saying they reinstated the debt is this legal?

2. Always

Always Well-Known Member

What do you have in writing?

Is this an OC or a CA?

*How* was your debt with the company 'cancelled'? Did you receive a letter stating that the debt was "cancelled"?

3. buttons

buttons Member

Hello Always I received from the credit card company two letters from the company that the debt had been canceled and to report it to the IRS as income.. I sent copies of the letters to the lawyers .Then today I received a letter stating that none of the debt was canceled and to report that on my taxes. is this legal? thank you buttons.

4. Always

Always Well-Known Member

Are you saying that the credit card company sent you a letter, which you have retained, that your debt was cancelled? The word "cancelled" is in the letter?

Did the same office send you the *second* letter, asserting that debt wasn't cancelled?

After you received the first letter, was the trade line removed from your credit reports?

From what your saying, it may be wise to bring *copies* of the letters to a local attorney versed in the FCRA because you may have a case.

Try the www.naca.net site to find someone to review the correspondence you have and bring copies of any correspondence that you may have sent to their offices/lawyers.

Also, if you have a copy of your credit reports from one year ago bring that too. Give the attorney the opportunity to review how the TL was listed and to see the evidence how it may have changed one year later - after the "cancelled" debt was re-inserted.

5. buttons

buttons Member

Hello Always I have a paper from the company that says my debt was canceled in 04/07/05and it has the amount of the debt that was canceled. I sent copies of this to the lawyers. then today i got a paper saying their was a mistake and that the debt had not been canceled. thanks for your help buttons

6. Always

Always Well-Known Member

Don't put the actual letter online here or anywhere.

Take them to a FCRA attorney, the naca site will have good listings for you and you'll find someone in your area.

Take *all* the paperwork, all the letters, to the attorney because it does sound like this may be a good case for you. But an attorney should read what was written in each letter and advise you.

As I said, make a copies of everything, and seek competent legal advice. Many attorneys do offer a free initial consultation to give you guidance on the facts of your case.

A FCRA attorney should definitely read these letters.

7. buttons

buttons Member

THANK YOU ALWAYS for all your help that is what I AM going to do I will tell you how it all comes out . buttons