Mailed PFD letter.......no response....now what?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by ktl55, Apr 23, 2007.

1. ktl55

ktl55 Well-Known Member

I mailed a PFD letter about 3 weeks ago with no response. I received my green card back 2 days after I sent the letter. Now what? It's a new alert that just recently appeared on my credit report. Do I disoute it the the CRA?

2. collectman

collectman Well-Known Member

Is any of the information incorrect that they are reporting? If not, you're stuck for 7 years now.

3. woops

woops Well-Known Member

Did you enclose payment? If not, send second PFD letter to someone specific within the company.

Dear XXXXXX,
    I recently attempted to contact your company regarding the above listed account but your staff has not responded. I am writing to you to offer.......

Worked for me. First letter went unanswered. Second letter addressed to company president by name got them to respond in the same week.

Good luck

4. ktl55

ktl55 Well-Known Member

Thanks woops. I'm going to do this tomorrow.

5. collectman

Did you send the money order with the letter specifically address to them and did they accept it and send you notice back? Or did you just send the letter then the pymt after you receive the notice back.

6. ktl55

ktl55 Well-Known Member

I haven't received anything back. I did send payment or at least I thought I did. Luckly my husband never put it in the mail so I still have the money order. No one responded to my letter.

7. collectman

I meant that for woops, sorry ktl55. I had a debtor mail me a PFD letter and enclosed the money order, but the money order didn't have a restrictive endorsement on it. I haven't decided wether to send it back to go ahead and cash it and mark the account PIF on the CBR.

8. SnickerMe

SnickerMe Active Member

What is restrictive endorsement?

9. woops

woops Well-Known Member

No. I did not send the payment in the initial letter. I offered to pay $xxx (the full amount) in the form of a postal money order, to be send within 5 business days if they agreed to consider account #xxxx to be paid in full, cease any further reporting and cause the deletion of any entry referencing the account from all consumer reporting agencies they normally report to.

They were to copy the entire agreement onto their letterhead and provide me with a copy, signed in ink, by a representative of the company authorized to bind the company by this agreement.

About four days later, I received a copy of the agreement on thier letterhead, with a note at the bottom indicating that they agree to the terms and if I did not send payment as promised they would immediatly pursue further collection efforts. It was signed by the president of the company.

Needless to say, I placed a photocopy of the agreement and the moneyorder (SAVE A PHOTOCOPY OF THE MONEYORDER FOR YOURSELF) into an envelope that day and sent it CMRRR right back to the president.

About a week later all reference to the tradeline dissappeared from my credit reports. YMMV though as this was for a small debt, less than $150.

10. woops

woops Well-Known Member

So a few questions for you as you are in a position to shed a little light on the whole situation.

Are you authorized, or at least allowed, to make the determination as to whether your agency will/will not accept a PFD offer?

If you can make that decision, what factors effect your decision?

Again, in my situation, the debt was fairly small and several years old. I know I didn't really feel like spending $50 on CMRRR fighting over it, I am assuming the CA just figured it was easier to accept payment in full rather than expend the effort required to valadate and collect. In fact, I don't ever remember getting any letters about it (although they must have sent something at sometime) and I know I havent received any calls.

11. woops

woops Well-Known Member

search for the term, there are a lot of threads about it. In some states, the recipient of the check is not legally required to abide by it. Basically, you write on the back of the check that by endorsing and cashing it they (the CA) agree that the account is paid in full and to delete the tradeline. It's a huge YMMV situation. Thats whay I didn't send payment until they agreed to the terms.

Other point, best results with a pay for delete are acheived when you pay the full balance. Attempting to get them to delete AND settle for less than full balance has only rarely been sucessfull.

Again, there is som much already written, search the board, you will end up with about an hours worth of good reading.

12. woops

woops Well-Known Member

Collectman, you didn't reply???

13. collectman

Sorry lost track of this, yes I can make that decision. I checked with our attorney to make sure, if the money order/check doesnt have the RE on it, then I am able to ignore the PFD and cash it for payment. I wont remove a tradeline from the CR for a PFD.