Credit Card Balance Transfer, HELP!

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by GabrielLE, Jul 9, 2008.

1. GabrielLE

GabrielLE Member

My friend, knowing that I am having problems with money right now, specifically with my credit cards, has been nagging me to transfer credit card balance from one card to another. It all sounds like non-sense to me, I mean I still have to pay the balance for all my credit cards, no matter what I use and when I use them.

But she says that you're able to really save on it.

Was she pulling my leg?

2. bustdebt

bustdebt Active Member

Hi Gabrielle.

No, she's not pulling your leg. Credit card balance transfers are meant to enable people transfer credit card balance from one that has a higher interest rate like say 16% to another credit card that charges a lower interest rate, like say 10%, 5% or even 0%. Say you have a $10,000 debt on a card that charges 16%, that interest rate would be much higher than one that charges no interest.

That's one of the savings you have there. More savings if you are delinquent in your payments and you have been charged finance charges. If you transfer credit card balance to a new card, you won't have to worry about these finance charges.

The best and ideal situation is to look for a balance transfer credit card that offers a 0% introductory rate for a period of a year or more than a year. But there is a catch to all these, so you should be very careful, or you end up paying more. Credit card balance transfers usually carry a fee, which could be a flat fee, or a percentage of the amount you transfer. Also, some companies offer a cap, a maximum limit of what they could charge you for credit card balance transfers. There are also instances that the balance transfer rate is 0% or 3% but purchases are charged a different--and often higher rate.

3. bustdebt

bustdebt Active Member

Sorry, I think I may have made a complicated explanation. so I'm simplifying this.

The savings you get from credit card balance transfer comes from
    (1) the lower interest rate you get on the new credit card
    (2) since you don't really default on your debt, you don't have to pay finance charges and other interests that you'd have to pay if you stayed loyal to your current credit card.

The introductory rates can be as low as 0% and the introductory period can be as long as more than a year. But it can differ according to your credit score and history.

These savings can be fully realized if you transfer credit card balance to a new card and try to pay off the balance before the period ends.

4. meager

meager Member

I am currently looking at credit card balance transfer offers because I want to transfer $4000 on Amex. I have received a lot of mail

offers (particularly persistent is Chase Visa, I've gotten 6 in the mail these past few months) that advertises 0% until March or

February 2011, and I'm seriously, seriously considering taking up one of their credit card balance transfers offers.

Another bank I'm considering if Boa, which has a 0% offer for 6 months.

5. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

But, you do have to look at several things here.

As was already mentioned, you have to take the fee into account as well. You may pay 3% up front. Does that get added to the BT, or is it at a higher rate?

Can you pay the balance off during the introductory period? If not, what is the rate going to be at the end of that time?

For example, if you are paying 15% now, you transfer a balance and pay 3%, and don't pay it off before the intro period, then the rate goes to 18%, you haven't helped your situation (in all likelihood).

Also, purchases carry a higher rate. All payments will be applied to the balance with the lowest rate first.

So, the card has to have NO balance before the transfer, and you cannot charge ANYTHING to the card during the introductory period.

Otherwise you'll be racking up interest on the higher rate balances and not paying a penny of it off. The interest will keep compounding.

6. bustdebt

bustdebt Active Member

ahh, I always forget this point. When you transfer credit card balance from one to another, you should be able to pay off the balance before the introductory rate expires, if you're not,you better have a low APR to start with :)

7. bustdebt

bustdebt Active Member

I think you're putting way too much emphasis on the introductory rate and the period. While both are important, it is not everything you should know. Hedgwick has made some more things to look out for, be sure to check into his suggestions.

An additional suggestion would be to make sure you read the fine print. There are a lot of things you could uncover there. :)

8. GabrielLE

GabrielLE Member

Hi there. To be honest, I'm quite lost with all the terms I'm encountering here. I am more confident though that my friend was not "putting one on me", so to speak. I do need help determining if a balance transfer credit card is worth it. I mean, if I could pay off my current credit card without having to transfer credit card balance anywhere, would it still be better for me to transfer credit card balance around? I don't think that made a lot of sense... :(

9. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

If you can get no or low fees, and a lower rate, it may make sense. If you can't pay it off during the six months or one year or whatever period that no or low interest is, then you need to look at what the rate will be later.

Having a lower interest rate is better, because you pay less interest and more of your payment goes to paying off the balance.

10. ccbob

ccbob Well-Known Member

Also check with other customers of the same credit card or bank. Some have a habit of:

a) offering 0% balance transfer
    b) reviewing your credit (Oh, look! THe new account now has high utilization!)
    c) Bumping up the rate to the default APR (~30%)
    d) changing the payment due date
    e) charging you all and every manner of fees
    f) lowering your credit limit (after all, now you're risky)
    g) charging you more fees
    h) making it look like it was all your fault.

Be very careful because once that starts happening, you won't be getting the 0% offers in the mail from other cards/banks and you'll be stuck.

11. GabrielLE

GabrielLE Member

Hi guys.

I'm still quite confused here. I know I'm sounding "floosy" but all these talk about interest rates, introductory periods and purchases/balance transfer is really getting to me.

12. GabrielLE

GabrielLE Member

What I mean is can anybody just tell me what credit card to get?

13. GabrielLE

GabrielLE Member

You make it sound so scary :( 30% as APR is definitely waaaayyy whoa! :(

14. GabrielLE

GabrielLE Member

Thank you for that Hedwig. I actually understood that one. I think I may need to have a low interest even after six months. I don't think I'd be able to pay off everything. How do it get to do that?

15. meager

meager Member

Gabrielle, it's kind of alarming that you trust strangers with financial decisions. I suggest you look at the Internet for credit card offers and then call their customer service so that you'd know for sure what you want and ensure that you don't end up paying more.

16. GabrielLE

GabrielLE Member

Hi Meager, that's sound advice, I agree, but isn't there anything that might help me out? I am just not the type to pore through all these numbers. It hurts my head.

17. bustdebt

bustdebt Active Member

Behave now, meager. Be kind :)

18. bustdebt

bustdebt Active Member

Hi Gabrielle, I'm always on the look out for rescuing damsels in distress :)

You might want to try comparecards.com (for some reason, I can't seem to post URLS, but it's comparecards dot com) They have a service that lets you input the things you're looking for in a credit card (like a balance transfer credit card, interest rates, and your own personal data) then they narrow down the choices for you and gives you a list of recommended cards. I think it's a tab called Help Me Choose.

Good luck with your problem!!!

19. GabrielLE

GabrielLE Member

thanks so much bustdebt! I'd surely check it out.

20. lisa

lisa Administrator

You can also check out our card search tool, (there is a box in the top right hand column of this page) which allows you to enter criteria such as reward type, introductory rate, annual fee, interest rates, and more.

Creditnet Card Search Tool