How to dispute a Hard Inquiry?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by talent103, Nov 4, 2009.

1. talent103

talent103 Member

I called a transunion to dispute a hard inquiry. The company is a collection agency I think but I have nothing in collection. The number listed on the inquiry is a non working number. Transunion say's I have to get a letter in writiing from the company in order for them to remove it. Is there something else I can do? This is my first time here but may not be the last. BTW all the reps were in India.

2. creditsupp

creditsupp Well-Known Member

TU's policy is that they do not remove inquiries as they are a matter of factual record. When the collection company pulled your credit report sometimes it will show the name and address used to pull up the report..does that show up on your report?? Bigger question is did the company have a permissiable purpose to pull up the report? If you owed the money that is enough of a reason for them to pull your report....if not escalate the call within TU....let me know if that works...if not i have an alternative solution but i would like your answers first.

3. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

Write a letter to the collection agency and tell them you found an inquiry from them on your report and you want to know their permissible purpose for pulling your report.

4. talent103

talent103 Member

Thanks

Thanks for the response. I dont have anything charged off so I dont see them as having a reason for pulling my report. The transunion people were not helpful. I asked to speak with a supervisor and to see what reson they had to pull my report as they are not one of my creditors. I will write the letter but what if they never respond back? If you can give me the alternitive as an option that would be great. Thanks creditsupp.

5. creditsupp

Talent...TU has been leniant removing inquiries if you claim the inquiry is mixed with father etc...same name (Jr)

Welcome to Confidential Credit Solutions

No part of the post above or anything posted by us herein is to be considered legal advice. Confidential Credit Solutions is not a law firm. If you seek legal advice, contact a licensed attorney within your jurisdiction.

No part of our website link, including clicking upon it, constitutes an offer of any kind or an advertisement to seek an agreement of any kind. The website link placement herein is for informational purposes exclusively.

6. bluesmap

bluesmap Member

do everything in writing.
    this forces them into a timeframe.
    if you call, they lie/forget/dont get to it/forget/lie some more about receiving your initial call.

if you write a letter you have documented proof of your communication which they must respond to.
    im still a newbie but i know that you should always keep a paper trail.
    a letter also proves that they got your request, they cant lie and say that they never received anything from you. get the mail certified so youll know when it was delivered

also, hedwig was right about having permissible purpose. they need to show that they had permissible purpose. work that into your letter.
    they must reply back to you

Sample Letter - Request Removal of Inquiries

(Name and Address of Creditor or Lender)

Re: Unauthorized Credit Inquiry

Dear (Name of Creditor or Lender),

I recently received a copy of my Experian credit report. The credit report showed a credit inquiry by your company that I do not recall authorizing. I understand that you shouldn't be allowed to put an inquiry on my file unless I have authorized it. Please have this inquiry removed from my credit file because it is making it very difficult for me to acquire credit.

I have sent this letter certified mail because I need your prompt response to this issue. Please be so kind as to forward me documentation that you have had the unauthorized inquiry removed.

If you find that I am remiss, and you did have my authorization to inquire into my credit report, then please send me proof of this.

Thanking you in advance,

(Your Name)
    (Address)
    (Date of Birth)
    (Social Security Number)

7. enigma

enigma Well-Known Member

Non-PP Puller Company
    Address
    City State Zip Code

To Whom It May Concern:

I have noticed that you have placed an inquiry on my _________ credit file dated
    ________. As you probably know, Credit Reporting Agencies treat inquiries as a
    statement of fact and will not allow a consumer to dispute them. Since it is against federal law (Fair Credit Reporting Act -- 15 USC § 1681n(a)(1)(B) for an entity to view a
    consumerâ??s credit report without a "permissible purpose," I am writing to inquire as to your
    alleged purpose for doing so since I did not apply for employment with your organization
    nor did I request credit from your organization.

[Describe any additional details about the inquiry here if need be. For example, your a
    subscriber to XXXX monitoring service and XXXX company pulled a "hard inquiry" on one
    of your reports.]

Based on the evidence in my possession, this inquiry was performed under false
    pretenses as described in the clear language of the law. 15 USC §1681n(a)(1)(B ) states,
    in part, "in the case of liability of a natural person for obtaining a consumer report under
    false pretenses or knowingly without a permissible purpose, actual damages sustained by
    the consumer as a result of the failure or $1,000, whichever is greater;" You are civilly liable to me in the amount of $1,000.00 for your willful violation of the law --
    performing a "hard inquiry" on my __________ file without my permission.
    I do hope that we can settle this matter amicably. You can remove the inquiry within one (1) business day of the receipt of this notice. Or, we can meet in court where you will end up removing the inquiry, paying me the civil liability fine, punitive damages for my score drop, plus court and attorney fees. The choice is up to you.

Please contact me immediately at the address listed below.

Sincerely,

8. creditsupp

You may want to post the information that they posted on your report as someone on here my have an alternative telephone number. I say this because it is possible that the address provided may not be working too. If you do go the route and try and get a letter, you cant get one if they do not respond or if you have a bad address.

No part of the post above or anything posted by us herein is to be considered legal advice. Confidential Credit Solutions is not a law firm. If you seek legal advice, contact a licensed attorney within your jurisdiction.

No part of our website link, including clicking upon it, constitutes an offer of any kind or an advertisement to seek an agreement of any kind. The website link placement herein is for informational purposes exclusively

9. squidzilla

squidzilla Well-Known Member

Funny, I'm actually faced with the same problem.

Anchor Receivables has a hard pull on my TU report, and I've never dealt with them in any capacity. I called TU and got the run-around about the burden of proof being on me to supply the information. A$$holes. I'll be sending a letter to ARM tomorrow, and we'll see how this goes.

10. creditsupp

Have you had anything ever been charged off or gone to collection? If yes, then they can be trying to locate you and that is why they pulled your report. This is a legal permissible purpose to pull your file. Best of luck and let me know if you need any assistance.

No part of our website link, including clicking upon it, constitutes an offer of any kind or an advertisement to seek an agreement of any kind. The website link placement herein is for informational purposes exclusively.

11. squidzilla

squidzilla Well-Known Member

If that was the case, wouldn't they be able to do a soft pull? None of my delinquencies have ever been handled by ARM. And if they did do the hard pull to locate me, they would've found my address and contacted me by now.

12. creditsupp

Collectors use hard pulls to locate consumers...soft pulls are usually done as account reviews when for example a credit card company is reviewing your credit to see if they will raise rates or credit lines. Or they could have been trying to find someone with similar name and address as you and pulled the wrong credit file. It has happened to others and could have happened to you.