I think my exhusband is using my daughter's SSN

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by ShannonE, Mar 25, 2010.

1. ShannonE

ShannonE Member

My 14 year old daughter told me that her dad mentioned to her that she has a credit card in her name but that he keeps it locked in a desk drawer for 'safe keeping'. When she told me that I nearly fell out of my chair.

The man has the worst credit EVER. He is currently involved in 4 judgements for past due rent and apartment evictions (I found that little nugget of information in the online county court records) and he owes me and his 1st exwife over $20,000 combined in past due child support for his two children. He's the kind of guy that needs a co-signer for a six pack, if you know what I mean? So I suspect that he took out a credit card in her name and is using it himself and probably trashing her credit in the process.

Anyone experienced this before?

I attempted to pull credit reports for her and, of course the Big Three CRA's all said that they don't maintain credit reports on minors, so I'm not sure how to check and see if he's actually used her SSN.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for any hints and help!

2. JoshuaHeckathorn

JoshuaHeckathorn Administrator

Sadly, this kind of stuff happens a lot, and often it's the parents doing the dirty deed. Minors shouldn't be allowed to get credit cards, but what happens is the parents get away with using the minor's SSN because credit issuers simply take the forged docs or information given on the application as the truth without demanding/verifying proof of age.

If this is what he's really done, it's ID theft and a police report should be filed and the credit issuer should be notified of the fraud. Perhaps you can try calling the credit issuer first, acting as your daughter, to see if you know enough information to answer the security questions and at least confirm that there is a card in her name? Like you said, you won't be able to pull any credit reports for her.

3. CTF388

CTF388 Well-Known Member

Who is the legal guardian of the child?

If you are not, doing what is suggested is not exactly legal, and may leave you open to an accusation of identity fraud.

4. apexcrsrv

apexcrsrv Well-Known Member

Legally, speaking it may. But, factually speaking, how would the creditor know who is calling in as the daughter unless they told them?

5. ShannonE

ShannonE Member

Thanks guys. I am her guardian, but I don't have the foggiest idea where to start with regards to calling creditors. I've only heard this from her (and I believe her because this would be just the kind of crap he'd pull) but he'd never, ever admit to me that he did it, or tell me which banks issued him credit in her name. And the Big 3 won't give me credit reports on her (saying they don't maintain them on kids) so I don't even know where to start...? Do I just call the police and share my suspicions?

6. CTF388

CTF388 Well-Known Member

As you are the legal guardian, you have the right to talk to the CC company on your daughter's behalf.

You may have to prove it to their satisfaction.

But if your ex is also a legal guardian, he may have had the right to open the account for her, and he is likely a co-signer.

If that is the case, there may not be much you can do about it.

7. ShannonE

ShannonE Member

Yes, but I have no idea who the credit card company may be.

I don't think that is the situation with him at all. I think he submitted an application for a credit card in his name with his DOB using her SSN and that is fraud. The problem is that I'm npt 100% sure it happened, I'm just very suspicious that it did. How do I find out if he did this?

8. CTF388

CTF388 Well-Known Member

Then you say,

So far you have hearsay and conjecture, and a conclusion that is not supported by any facts.

Your dislike of your ex is clear, and probably with some justification. But it's unwise to jump to conclusions without something tangible to back them up.

With his having guardianship rights, he may well be acting within the law, even though you might find it objectionable.

9. apexcrsrv

Personally, I'd ignore it unless it adversely affects your child in the future. Only then would I concern myself with it.

It's all speculation right now.

10. ShannonE

ShannonE Member

Proof? How do you propose I get this proof? Isnâ??t that pretty much what I was asking for help finding in my original post?

And you are correct, my dislike for him is extremely justified. He threw our daughter out in the street at 9 PM, in her pajamas in downtown Phoenix this January and told her he didn't want to ever see her again because she wouldn't drive his drunken butt to a fast food place to get a snack that night. Nice, eh? She's only 14 and has had about 30 minutes of behind the wheel training. She called me sobbing and I had to race into town from over 50 miles away to scoop her up and take her home. She was so devastated by his rejection and actions that night that she took a handful of pills in a suicide attempt about 2 weeks later. Thank God I found her in time. Now she's in counseling over the whole mess.

Besides, I didn't come here asking for advice on how to get proof of what I suspect he's done so I can minimize the damage to my child's credit, only to have you pick my story apart by haggling about the semantic differences of my posts. Thanks for the help by attacking my post and questioning my story and then telling me to do nothing without proof.

11. CTF388

CTF388 Well-Known Member

No offense intended. My apologies.

What we've been trying to tell you is that without proof you can get nowhere. And, getting proof may well be impossible unless the evidence falls in your lap.

Added on top of that, your narrative is inconsistent (his name/her name on card) and your ex may have every legal right to get her a card if he is her guardian.

All you have right now is hearsay and conjecture. There appears no legal way that you can get the proof you may need to change either.

If you can find the bank name and card number, you can call the bank and ask questions. But I doubt they would even speak to you.

You could ask your ex directly, but it appears that two of you aren't speaking.

You could ask your attorney to intercede, but my guess is that you would not get any satisfaction if ex has joint custody.

There are times when you have to admit that you can't solve the problem. Just because he is your ex and you hate what he is doing, the law still recognizes his rights.

Therein lies your problem.

But be patient and observant. An opportunity may present itself in the future. It it does, then don't hesitate to take it.

12. NightStar

NightStar Well-Known Member

I can't find it, but I use to have the address where to write when dealing with an ex-spouse using a child's social security number.

You will need to get copy of your's and your daughter's birth certificates, social security cards, and such. Write to the credit reporting agency and ask for the address where to send request to obtain your child's credit report, let them know you believe your ex-spouse has been abusing her credit.

Once you obtain a copy of the credit report you can file a police report. Also contact the FTC for assistance.

I might be able to locate the information for you, just have to wait until tomorrow.

13. NightStar

Here I thought it was an address but it is a site, try this:

childidtheft@transunion.com

Worried about Child Identity Theft?

* Online * Phone number: (800) 680-7289 * Mail: TransUnion Fraud Victim Assistance Department P.O. Box 6790 Fullerton, CA 92834

14. NightStar

Mail correspondence to Equifax

Equifax Credit Information Services, Inc
    P.O. Box 740241
    Atlanta, GA 30374

For peace of mind, you can request a credit report for your daughter through Experianâ??s online fraud center or by calling 1 888 EXPERIAN (1 888 397 3742) and selecting the fraud option. Simply follow the instructions provided. You will be asked to provide documentation verifying that you are the parent or legal guardian before Experian can send you a credit report.

15. apexcrsrv

Very insightful post. I didn't know this existed.

16. NightStar

That Equifax address is generic, I will look some more on that one, and I know there is an exact address for Experian, I can call my ex-employer today to see if he can help me out. Funny I have him on my Facebook account :) Plus I still have his phone number. Will be back with more.

17. KidKash202

KidKash202 Member

For a financially responsible parent, do you think it is a good idea to open a CC in your kid's name hoping to get them on the right track in terms of building good credit?

I am thinking about doing this when I have kids.

18. ShannonE

ShannonE Member

Nightstar thank you SOOOO much!! :D

19. ShannonE

ShannonE Member

IMHO, it's a huge risk. You may have the very best intentions and still suffer an unforseen event like a job loss and be unable to maintain the credit terms on your child's card and damage their new credit rating. On the flip side, it may go swimmingly and you set them up with a good FICO as they set off to make their own path. You just can't be sure how it'll go.

With my daughter I'm just educating her about credit and how to use it wisely and why it's critical to pay all her bills on time, protect her financial information and that she save at least 10% from each paycheck. These are lessons that I learned the hard way. LOL!!

20. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

That is good info that NightStar posted. I didn't know it existed, either. I guess we've all learned a lot.

That's why we're all here--to learn. This proves that even those of us who have been around for a while can still learn something.