trying to contact old dept collectors

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by bklyngurl, Jun 4, 2013.

1. bklyngurl

bklyngurl New Member

I'm trying to clear up some old dept from 1998 , from the ( First Select Group ) and the number is not in service . how can i clear up old dept with out being able to contact the collectors.
    please and advice is welcomed .

2. NikNak

NikNak Member

I am new here-and I'm sure you'll get a much better response from the experts here...but why are you trying to "clear up" the debt? It is 15 years old?

3. bklyngurl

bklyngurl New Member

im trying to get a job and they do a back ground check and this came up and i cant get the job till i clear the old dept, thats how far back they go.

4. Logan Abbott

Logan Abbott Well-Known Member

What's the Date of First Delinquency on this debt? A debt that old should be long gone from your report.

5. mindcrime

mindcrime Well-Known Member

I'm guessing Brooklyn girl is going for a job paying over $75k. I forget the official name of the report that is obtained to get this, but it definitely costs $$$ as compared to pulling a standard report.

How old the debt is doesn't apply if:

FCRA section 605
    (b) Exempted cases. The provisions of paragraphs (1) through (5) of subsection (a) of this
    section are not applicable in the case of any consumer credit report to be used in connection
    with
    (1) a credit transaction involving, or which may reasonably be expected to involve, a
    principal amount of $150,000 or more;
    (2) the underwriting of life insurance involving, or which may reasonably be expected to
    involve, a face amount of $150,000 or more; or
    (3) the employment of any individual at an annual salary which equals, or which may
    reasonably be expected to equal $75,000, or more.

Now this doesn't mean that if (1)(2)or(3) of (b) apply that the creditor/employer/insurer WILL obtain this type of report, BUT they can.

6. mindcrime

Although.... this case is different in that the DF is OOB and no longer has the legal ability to report this debt. I would try a dispute with this debt with the CRAs as not mine OR if you already told your prospective employer that it was yours and they need to see it paid before offering employment, dispute it as PAID instead to the CRAs. With a DF that's gone, there's no verifying anything and the account should be marked as such. (and who's to say that the account wasn't paid sometime over the last 15 years?)

7. jam237

jam237 Well-Known Member

Obsolete DF info doesn't mean that it can't be verified.

I would send a letter to their address CMRR, asking for information about the account, include tgat you tried their number, to no avail.

If it gets returned, send a copy of the letter and a copy of the envelope to the CRA, and to the perspective employer.

8. mindcrime

Okay, that's true. We all know that CRAs 'verify' the darndest things.

Jam's suggestion is more ethical, and shows good faith. IF for whatever reason the employer must have the debt paid, then try the dispute route after you get your letter back as undeliverable.

9. jam237

jam237 Well-Known Member

Darned, ethics and good faith!

What fun is a clean CRA report, if you only got it by being as dirty as the CAs and CRAs...

10. credit guy

credit guy Member

send them a letter and the bureaus a letter. If they don't respond it's removed