When is a postcard not a postcard?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by jam237, Mar 2, 2015.

1. jam237

jam237 Well-Known Member

Here's an interesting question.

You receive a non-discript post-card which is a folded self-mailer (imagine a paystub type mailer).

When you open up the post-card via the perforations, viola, the entirety of a collection 'letter' typed onto the mini sized post-card.

Hmmmmm, does that fall into the communication via post-card provision of the FDCPA?

2. mindcrime

mindcrime Well-Known Member

Contents readable from outside?

3. jam237

jam237 Well-Known Member

With the right amount of light... :)

Since it's only folded over, there's not an opportunity to have security lined paper... :)

Thank you for giving me something to counter the 'it's not a postcard' argument that they'll give.

4. mindcrime

A postcard or post card is a rectangular piece of thick paper or thin cardboard intended for writing and mailing without an envelope. Other shapes than rectangular may also be used.

Postcard - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

post·card
    also post card (post'kärd')
    n.
    1. A printed card with space on one side for an address and a postage stamp, used for sending a short message through the mail.

:)

5. mindcrime

Jam gets all the luck ;)

6. Dancer

Dancer Well-Known Member

The provision exists to prevent your priveleged and private conversations from being known by the mailman or anyone else who sees it. Any envelope that fails to safeguard your information (ie: if you can read through it) fails the intent of the law.

7. jam237

jam237 Well-Known Member

Well, its only to add extra points to the luck... ;p

Add to that the compliance officer stated that the letter was mailed on the 18th, it was dated on the 19th, sent presorted (without a postmark date - no way to prove the date that they actually mailed it), and I received it well over 5 days after the date that was on the letter; and it had an expiration date for a settlement offer within the time period of 30 days following the actual receipt of the letter; and no clear explanation of how accepting the offer doesn't preclude validation rights, or vice-versa. Not to mention, that the account has been in a frozen state by previous validation letters to the two previous CAs.

Too bad the law is moot on point sizes of type; as you can imagine to shrink a letter down to 5 1/2" x 3 3/4", they had to do some major font shrinkage... Not to mention, the only reason I opened the postcard is that I was expecting a LETTER from their city, state... (It looks THAT much like a marketing postcard despite a black line with white type that says "Important Account Information Enclosed"...)