Please help. Missed to pay medical bill and got a letter from collection agency

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Lachu, Apr 11, 2015.

1. Lachu

Lachu New Member

Hi,

We went to take an X-ray for my kid in dec. we received a bill of $26.xx in January. My wife called their number to pay. But they told her there is another $15 bill as well. Since we had not received that yet, she said she will pay after receiving the bill. We forgot about this totally as we didn't get any more bills.

Today we got a letter from a collection agency for $41.85. Are we screwed? We had 800+ score before this and I was looking to buy a house :-(

We are planning to call the collection company (name is online collections) on Monday to pay this amount. We have following questions

1. Have they already reported to the credit bureau? The letter says I have 30 days to dispute the accuracy.
    2. If it is reported, how can I ask them to remove. Am I totally screwed now?
    3. Should I call provider and pay them or pay it to the collection agency?
    4. If paying to collection agency is better, should I pay it over the phone or pay it through their website

Thanks all for your help and advice
    Lachu

2. Dancer

Dancer Well-Known Member

Pay the Provider and don't deal in any way with the collector. They may actually be the same company anyway.

If it shows up on your credit, send the HIPAA demand letter (do a search on this board) which prohibits the reporting of ANY details pertaining to paid medical bills.

If you pay the collector, they have the right to report it as a paid collection which will screw you. While you are applying for a house, if it shows up, continually dispute it on all three CRBs.

3. Jackie OMG

Jackie OMG New Member

Hey.
    Anything under $100 cannot be reported. Just pay it. Before it gains interest and brings it over the $100 mark.

4. jam237

jam237 Well-Known Member

Jackie:

Any amount can be reported. There is no min. limit in the law. The only guideline is that the reporting is 100% complete, accurate and verifiable. Now, could there be an amount where they are paying more for the privilege of reporting than they could ever get back, yeah. But I've seen companies report accounts so trivially small that it was ridiculous.

5. Dancer

Dancer Well-Known Member

Jackie,

Regrettably, any amount can be reported.

6. jam237

jam237 Well-Known Member

1.) There is no way to tell whether they've reported or not. The notice that you have 30 days is required under the FDCPA.
    2.) See below.
    3.) I would try to work with the original creditor, if you know when your wife called and was told about the second account?
    4.) Neither.

Here is the tactic that I would use in this situation...

1. Contact original creditor, ask to speak with the highest person possible.
    2. Explain that when your wife called in December (if you know the exact date, who she spoke with, etc., even better.) you were only verbally told about the second account, and she had told them that as soon as she received a bill for the second bill, she would make the payment; their office neglected to send the bill, and FALSELY turned them over to the collection agency due to their negligence.
    3. I would request that because it is from their negligence to send the bill, that they recall the account from the collection agency; and you will pay them as soon as they send you the bill that they were supposed to send you in December.
    4. NOW, I would send to the collection agency, dispute the bill in it's entirety. DO NOT CALL THEM, and specifically tell them that IT IS INCONVENIENT FOR THEM TO CALL YOU.
    5. The minute that I know that the CA received the dispute, I would send to all three CRAs a dispute of any account by the CA.

Now, to me it doesn't matter if the OC refuses to recall, the CA tries to validate, or the CRA verifies the tradeline.

If any or all of the three happen, I file a suit against the OC for violating HIPPA, the CA for violating the FDCPA and FCRA, and the CRA for violating the FCRA.

I now have a situation where the CA has to pay me well over $1,000.00 (plus another $1,000.00 for every CRA that they verify with), the CRAs $1,000.00, and the OC has a HIPPA violation that I can wrench in my favor...

7. mindcrime

mindcrime Well-Known Member

If you're in the middle of looking for a house, it may be a good idea to monitor your reports. This can pop up on your credit at any time.

You've already been given good suggestions on how to tackle this, but for your own peace of mind, watch your reports until the smoke clears.