Intro and BOA Account Question

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by JoeyG, Jun 18, 2015.

1. JoeyG

JoeyG New Member

First, thank you all for your help. I've been lurking and learned so much, even browsing through old threads for additional info on things. As someone climbing out of a bad credit hole, it feels amazing when this years-long plague finally starts clearing up. But more work to do.

Bank of America: I have a long history with a BOA credit card account dating back to August 1996, when they were MBNA. A lot of good and a lot of bad. My credit dark period was roughly mid 2010 to 2012, with some lingering into 2013. My BOA account was actually closed in October 2011 "at credit grantor's request", but I have a balance around $4k that I have been paying down. A summary of the history based on my 3 CRs is:

Jul 2008(earliest date shown) -Jul 2011: OK (mostly, two 30d late: Oct 10, Mar 11).
    Aug 2011-Mar 2013: Mostly bad, 5 OK months, others neg, even some 120dls.
    Apr 2013-present: OK. Nothing late.

Any advice on options? Is there a good element to this TL based on length of time open, earlier good and present history, or is the fact that it is a closed account with a lot of negative history make it dead wood? I suppose it still shows as a debt being paid regularly even if it isn't really a "credit" account anymore.

Considering GW letter, but would it even make a difference to only get some of the worst entries (e.g., the 120d) off?

Any idea if it's possible for them to "reopen" or reactivate the account and if so, would that be better?

Would it be better to transfer the debt to a new CC? Or is there any more credit-robust way to handle?

I have some other issues but probably better to use separate threads.

Again, Thank you. The help you provide is practically life saving.

2. JoshuaHeckathorn

JoshuaHeckathorn Administrator

Hey JoeyG, sorry to see that your post was missed by all the forum members. I am glad to at least see that you found a lot of useful information from simply lurking around the site.

Did you ever decide how to proceed with your Bank of America credit card debt? I'm curious if you tried a Goodwill letter and if you received a positive response from BofA. Let us know and I'll do my best to help you from this time forward. Happy New Year!