Problem with Equifax

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by bigbawllaz, Aug 31, 2015.

1. bigbawllaz

bigbawllaz New Member

Hi guys,

I'm new to this and I'd really appreciate any guidance you're willing to provide. I have an old charge-off which is past the SOL in my state. Transunion was reporting this as a collection account, along with Equifax. Equifax actually has this account listed twice, with 2 different CA names. I made the mistake of submitting the dispute online (to both Equifax and Transunion). I listed the reason for the dispute as 'not my account', being that these companies are not the original creditor and I don't know who they are. Transunion removed the account within a week (my score went up 100 points with them). Equifax sent me a letter, stating that they verified that the account is mine. I guess they used E-Oscar. I called them to complain and they told me to call the companies that are reporting this account. I sent these two CA's letters and still haven't heard back from them. It's been over 30 days. My questions are: being that I submitted the Equifax dispute online, can I still keep fighting them over this? Should I send them a letter asking how they verified it and telling them that the companies have not replied to my request of validation? Any advice is welcomed.

2. JoshuaHeckathorn

JoshuaHeckathorn Administrator

Sorry for the slow reply Bigbawllaz! Great name by the way....hahahaha.

I'm curious what route you decided to take with Equifax? Did you end up sending them another written dispute, letting them know that the CA's have failed to respond and validate the debt?

Give us an update, and I'll do my best to help you from this point forward.

3. jam237

jam237 Well-Known Member

Hey there...

Hopefully you sent a written letter and had better luck with it.

If you can't get them to re-dispute on a NOT MINE (which, unless they don't have either your NAME, ADDRESS, DOB, or SSN they will be able to survive), try re-disputing as a DUPLICATE account.

That still may not work, if OC sold account to CA1 and CA1 assigned CA2 to the account, then OC, CA1 and CA2 would all have a valid reason to report on your credit file; but if CA1 sold the account or was assigned and sent the account back to the OC, they wouldn't have a valid reason to stay on your credit file.

4. JoshuaHeckathorn

Are there many CAs out there jam that actually assign purchased accounts to another CA to collect for them? Just curious about that...

5. jam237

jam237 Well-Known Member

Actually, I know some really major CAs that buy but don't do direct collections. :)

They've also been blind-sided when I argue that THEY are personally required to provide the notices and not just their sub-contractors. :)

6. JoshuaHeckathorn

Hmmm, really? I didn't realize that was a normal practice in the industry.

It makes sense though if there are CAs that really just want to focus their expertise on buying/selling debts and then there are others that solely want to focus on being expert collectors. I guess I've just never run into this before. What's one of the major CAs that doesn't do its own collections?