* ?Are New FILEs Legit??*

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by kev, Jan 13, 2001.

1. kev

kev Guest

Hi there,

Can a person really get a new file? Sometimes I hear it's illegal and the marketers say it is the best way to get out of trouble. What is the truth about this?

2. Newcomer

Newcomer Well-Known Member

I'm curious abou that too. I bought an expensive packet from them one time and it told you how to obtain a Tax ID # that you would then use instead of your SS#. Well so the first time I apply for credit with them I am declined and the explanation was legal research pending. Low and behold about 2 wks later an investigator comes to my house to question me about trying to obtain credit with a deceased persons SS #. I nearly died. Of course I showed them the information and that the TIN was registered to me etc etc. Since then I have never tried again.....too scared.

3. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

No you can't get a "new Credit File", it is illegal and anyone who tells you any different is lying.

Mom

4. kev

kev Guest

To: newcomer??

How could they do this to you if the IRS was the one to issue you the tax ID#? Why the investigator? How much did you pay for the service?

5. mt

mt Guest

RE: To: newcomer??

Well he/she used a TAX ID number as an SSN. There is a difference. It is against the law to do this to obtain credit, regardless of what the companies that market this might say. People do not always get caught, but would it really be worth it.

6. kev

kev Guest

RE: To: mt

Thank you, I understand now!