1/2 there

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by nj_newbie, Jul 21, 2001.

1. nj_newbie

nj_newbie Well-Known Member

HI,

I just wanted to share with you that from reading this board it has given me courage to fight. Here is my latest quest.

Earlier this week, Tuesday to be exact, I sent a letter to the attorney who filed a judgment against me requesting him to vacate the judgment. I had not expected to hear from him so soon. Today, I received a reply in the mail from him. He stated that if I filed a motion to vacate with the courts he would not object, therefore, granting me a default judgment which will result in the judgment being vacated by the courts.

So...through the help of everyone sharing their stories on this board it enabled me to take a risk and ask. I figured he could only say no. However, I am taking the advice of keep at them until you get the response you want. So now I am off to learn how to file a motion to vacate. I think I have a copy of the last one an attorney filed when I requested it (especially since it really was not mine).

Any help out there on how to write a motion?

Thanks

NJ_Newbie

2. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Wow, Congrats!!!

3. nj_newbie

Thanks!!!

4. hurricane5

hurricane5 Well-Known Member

nj,
    Would you be kind enough to detail your situation? Was the judgement paid? What kind of language did you use in your letter? How can you file a motion to vacate? I thought only the judgement creditor could do that?

Anyone else, feel free to jump in as well.

Thanks

5. nj_newbie

***Would you be kind enough to detail your situation? Was the judgement paid? What kind of language did you use in your letter? How can you file a motion to vacate? I thought only the judgement creditor could do that? ***

Hi,

Yes, the judgment was paid in May 2000. It was paid before our court date. Basically, I was just direct and to the point, that when I paid the judgment I did not fully understand how credit reporting worked and now that I do know the satisfied judgment is damaging my credit profile. I humbly asked if he would file the motion because I really wanted to get the notation off my file to be able to qualify for better loans.

I'm not sure if I can file a motion to vacate, but I am trying my best to find out. I have an attorney friend who I will ask hopefully tonight or tomorrow. I'll keep you posted.

NJ_Newbie

6. Saar

Saar Banned

Of course you can file a motion to vacate, but you need a legal cause to support it.

When it's a joint motion the cause is just a formality, and the judge isn't really interested in reviewing it. S/he will grant it and move on to the next case.

Saar

7. nj_newbie

***When it's a joint motion the cause is just a formality, and the judge isn't really interested in reviewing it. S/he will grant it and move on to the next case.***

Sarr,

Since the attorney said he would not object to it, is it considered a joint motion. Ooohhh!!! I hope so. On the other hand if it isn't, I am willing to contact the attorney again and ask if he will do it this way. I think the only reason he put it back on me is to avoid court costs. Well that's my guess about it.

NJ_Newbie