$10,000 limit? What's the deal

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Shirley, Apr 21, 2001.

1. Shirley

Shirley Well-Known Member

Just curious for some perspective. I've seen several posters in the last month post about how they were approved for a $5,000 or $10,000 Platinum card.

You obviously got your ducks lined up with your credit reports but what kind of an annual salary does one need to get such a card?

I'm in the process of validating/fixing my old bad credit, but barely make $28k a year. I can't imagine getting a platinum card on such a low salary. Are all of you folks earning more than 50k a year? I don't mean to pry, but I'm just looking for a basis on which to understand how on earth people are getting these sky high limits.

I'm still waiting on a reply to my validation to a collection agency. I will post an update as soon as I hear anything.

2. Ender

Ender Well-Known Member

Re: $10,000 limit? What's the

Ah, so you are a DBA? I am also in the tech industry, doing consulting as well..

3. Ender

Ender Well-Known Member

I do IT consulting, specializing mainly in CRM. I've only had a few ERP projects as well.. but mainly CRM. If you want more information, email me and let me know.. I don't know if I would really want to reveal my work place.. although I am sure with some work, people can find out fairly easily.. =)

4. BlueVegas

BlueVegas Active Member

Hell I make $50-56k a year and Cap One only gave me a $200 limit. I owe $6000 on two Providian cards and $1200 on a student loan. I have some old accounts reporting unpaid balances and also I have a paid judgement that still shows unpaid. So I guess I'm a risk for a while....

5. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

Most applications are 35K annual salary for most Platinum cards. Have a 12k, 10k, 8.5k, 7.3k, 3@7k, 6.8k, 2@6k, 5.5k, and a 5k card. Barely make more than salary above. You can have decent limits without a huge income.

6. Mike

Mike Well-Known Member

It's all based on total household income, not just on individual income.

7. Y.M.

Y.M. Guest

I was approved Amex cash rebate with 2,000 limit.Last month got a BT checks from them and it stated;transfer balance from other cards,you will get line increase dollar for dallar,Max credit line could be $14,000.My income is 38,000.

8. Y.M.

Y.M. Guest

My Amex card was approved last Feb.

9. judyputy

judyputy Well-Known Member

Do they really check the income you give them???

I was recently turned down for another citibank card because they said at our salary $50,000 and with our debts they didn't feel like "IF" we ran all the cards up we could handle payments on another 10,000 plat. card. I foolishly put only hubby's salary. I haven't worked in 8 months. But they never called anybody to check his salary.

I won't start a tirade on how pissed I am that they assume that "IF" I ran up all the cards I couldn't pay. Based on WHAT?????? The fact that I have always paid every month never missed and never late?????? Total crap.

judy

10. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

I'VE NEVER BEEN LATE OR OVER LIMIT SINCE 1978...DOESN'T MATTER...

If all the credit card companies were worried about everybody running up all their cards to their limits...THEY WOULDN'T GIVE ANYBODY ANY CARDS!!!!

11. creditwork

creditwork Well-Known Member

I am an IT consultant also, the last 3 years I have shown income of less than $30,000. My highest salary since 1980 has been $52,000. I control over $140,000 individual credit and my consulting company controls well in excess of $100,000.
    Exercise your credit, to get the big limits and lower rates.

http://www.creditsense.com

12. creditwork

creditwork Well-Known Member

My company makes over $100,000, but with all the expenses, it only allows me to pay me a small salary.
    I am not like those CEO making over 100 million, while their stock is losing 90% of their value.

http://www.creditsense.com

13. Ender

Ender Well-Known Member

Wow, I never heard of an IT person making that little either.. I been doing consulting only a few years, and I'm already near $90k.

14. jshimmer

jshimmer Well-Known Member

> Truthfully, they never check or verify income. They
    > simply accept what you tell them as true and
    > figure out the debt to income ratio based on that.
    > If you really want one high credit limit card, tell
    > them you make $75,000 even if you do not. This
    > is technically wrong, but nobody will ever prosecute
    > you for it.

In many states (if not all), it is ILLEGAL for your employer to verify a SALARY AMOUNT. They can verify that you DO, in fact, WORK THERE, and for HOW LONG, and your position, but NOT your SALARY or WAGE.